Kitchen appliance switches
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
barry-R
Labourer
Labourer

Kitchen appliance switches

Post by barry-R » Thu Feb 12, 2009 11:30 pm

Hi everyone,
i wonder if any of you electrical experts can help me,
i'am in the process of fitting our new kitchen at the moment and before i can have the kitchen installed i would like to reduce the number of separate switch face plates that i have, there are 3 separate switches side by side (on ring main circuit) that are operating w/m,d/w & fridge/freezer, i have come across switch modules that have kitchen appliance names printed on them, they would only need single back box & 3 gang switch plate, would the 3 separate switches that are looped from one another be able to convert to the switch modules or do the indivdual sw modules have to be wired separately,
my uncle who is a electrician and will be carrying out the work has never used these switches before, so i would like to find out before i buy them.

i would very much appreciate a reply from anyone

kbrownie
Project Manager
Project Manager

Post by kbrownie » Fri Feb 13, 2009 7:09 am

To be honest barry, I have never come across these either, but if they are as you say they will work each appliance individually. Which will mean you will have at least four sets of cables in the back plate maybe even five if the circuit continues to feed another socket, that could add up to 15 wires, would not be a lot of room back there! I would also expect this switch to be fused too (may be even three fuses).
The norm is to have a single fused switch directly above the appliance it is operating, above the kitchen worktop.
KB

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Thu Mar 07, 2024 2:07 am