Kitchen Appliances
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
steve123
Apprentice
Apprentice

Kitchen Appliances

by steve123 » Sat Jun 30, 2007 3:41 pm

Before I get the electrician in I want to understand what would be the 'tidiest' way to do everything in my new kitchen layout. Historically everything has been done to the 'easiest for the electrician' specification (ex-council).....as I have external conduit covering the supply to my boiler FCU and next to it an external box with cover plate where he has connected a terminal 'choc' block inside to run off to the thermostat.....none of it looks good. This time I intend to pay for a proper job, but dont want to be persuaded into the 'best' way by a bias electrician.

I assume I have to have an FCU for a new hood (or can i use a 10A isolation switch?? screwfix quote 41580), another FCU for the new gas hobs (ie.ignition), the current FCU for the boiler.

Can I reduce the number of FCU's? The combi boiler and gas hobs will both be off 3A.

I expect the electrician will want to spur off sockets to fit FCU's, but my concern is on a 2m wide wall it will look cluttered. I currently have 2 double sockets and the FCU for the boiler and the junction box/cover plate for the run to the thermostat. (im adding up 6 electrical plates in about a 1m gap becuse you obviously cant put them behind the hobs or boiler)

Is there any way to reduce all this potential clutter?

Is there a reason why I cant have the pvc conduit replaced with galvanised capping and back boxes and put a false wall to conseal everything? (rather than hacking into the wall and replastering).

And may I quickly ask rather than adding a new topic, is a dishwasher and washing machine ok to run off a 13A double spurred socket if its the only spur from another 13A double ring main socket?

I would apprieciate any response so I at least sound clued up for when i get quotes. Thanks.

BLAKEY1963
Site Agent
Site Agent

Re: Kitchen Appliances

by BLAKEY1963 » Sun Jul 01, 2007 10:04 pm

[quote="steve123"]Before I get the electrician in I want to understand what would be the 'tidiest' way to do everything in my new kitchen layout. Historically everything has been done to the 'easiest for the electrician' specification (ex-council).....as I have external conduit covering the supply to my boiler FCU and next to it an external box with cover plate where he has connected a terminal 'choc' block inside to run off to the thermostat.....none of it looks good. This time I intend to pay for a proper job, but dont want to be persuaded into the 'best' way by a bias electrician.

I assume I have to have an FCU for a new hood (or can i use a 10A isolation switch?? screwfix quote 41580), another FCU for the new gas hobs (ie.ignition), the current FCU for the boiler.

Can I reduce the number of FCU's? The combi boiler and gas hobs will both be off 3A.

I expect the electrician will want to spur off sockets to fit FCU's, but my concern is on a 2m wide wall it will look cluttered. I currently have 2 double sockets and the FCU for the boiler and the junction box/cover plate for the run to the thermostat. (im adding up 6 electrical plates in about a 1m gap becuse you obviously cant put them behind the hobs or boiler)

Is there any way to reduce all this potential clutter?

Is there a reason why I cant have the pvc conduit replaced with galvanised capping and back boxes and put a false wall to conseal everything? (rather than hacking into the wall and replastering).

And may I quickly ask rather than adding a new topic, is a dishwasher and washing machine ok to run off a 13A double spurred socket if its the only spur from another 13A double ring main socket?

I would apprieciate any response so I at least sound clued up for when i get quotes. Thanks.[/quote]

STEVE 123

YOU KNOW THAT AS THIS IS NOTIFIABLE WORK YOUR PART P REGISTERED ELECTRICIAN WOULD BE DOING THIS 4 U.
THERE IS NO REASON Y U CAN T ASK HIM 2 PUT WHEREU WOULD LIKE THEM. THERE R REGS 300MM2 FROM SINKS AND COOKER HOBS ECT . IF A NEW RING MAIN IS PUT IN AS IS NOW THE NORM 4 KITCHENS ANYWAY , THEN SOCKETS CAN BE PROVIDED , FUSED SPURS CAN BE PROVIDED OFF THE RING FOR COOKER HOOD AND GAS HOB IGNITION.
FUSED SPURS OFF THE RING WORKTOP LEVEL CAN FEED DISHWASHERS, WASHING MACHINES , TUMBLE DRYERS BY FEEDING LOW LEVEL UNSWITCHED SINGLE SOCKETS OFF LOAD SIDE OF EACH SPUR REQUIRED . IT IS NOW THE NORM TO PROVIDE A SEPARATE CIRCUIT FOR CENTRAL HEATING .
U COULD PUT IN FALSE WALL. DISSCUSS RELAVANT PROTECTION 4 CABLES WITH YOUR SPARKY . HE WILL ALSO ADVISE BOUT THERMOSTAT.
BLAKEY1963

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Tue Mar 05, 2024 10:19 pm