Kitchen Electrics / Dilemma
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Shane
Apprentice
Apprentice

Kitchen Electrics / Dilemma

by Shane » Sat Aug 11, 2007 4:56 pm

2 d/sockets near cooker and 1 switch near sink all closer than 100 mm. Only 105above worktop to centre.Builder/I spoke to sparks and we agreed to blank all 3 behind new splashbacks(thur pm).Fri am, sparks refused to move them, nothing wrong where they are and confirmed by NICECEC say ok.I'm sure B regs say 300,haveGuide to B regs,diagram p57 but he wont have it. I aked him to make work safe an leave. Spoke to NICEEC twice tue/thur an ECA Fri but that was not clear. Checked with 4 others sparks,all say same,move them. Not cheap £'s or time to do this,is this the real prob. Council B reg inspector was not sure when asked. Been told if I sold house this would cause big prob because of regs, so I need to get this sorted now.But with other things,to tell the truth,I have lost all conferdence in the guy. NICEEC rules say I put in writing 2 him, which I will do. But where then.Blakey gave me comment on this.Sparks did not want to know.

sparx
Project Manager
Project Manager

by sparx » Sun Aug 12, 2007 12:34 pm

Hi, the I.E.T. (formerly IEE) make the regs & they say skts must be appropriate for location, so could in theory behind sink if using outside IP65 rated, however not pretty!!!
Guidence notes recommend 300mm from edge of sink/drainer, but don't mention cooker distances specifically but common sense says keep reasonable distance to avoid reaching near heat to sw.
a very subjective subject , so these are my thoughts,
regards,
SPARX

Shane
Apprentice
Apprentice

by Shane » Sun Aug 12, 2007 1:40 pm

Hi SPARX.

Thanks for ya time an trouble.

Sure there will be more Q's soon.

BLAKEY1963
Site Agent
Site Agent

Re: Kitchen Electrics / Dilemma

by BLAKEY1963 » Sun Aug 12, 2007 4:54 pm

[quote="Shane"]2 d/sockets near cooker and 1 switch near sink all closer than 100 mm. Only 105above worktop to centre.Builder/I spoke to sparks and we agreed to blank all 3 behind new splashbacks(thur pm).Fri am, sparks refused to move them, nothing wrong where they are and confirmed by NICECEC say ok.I'm sure B regs say 300,haveGuide to B regs,diagram p57 but he wont have it. I aked him to make work safe an leave. Spoke to NICEEC twice tue/thur an ECA Fri but that was not clear. Checked with 4 others sparks,all say same,move them. Not cheap £'s or time to do this,is this the real prob. Council B reg inspector was not sure when asked. Been told if I sold house this would cause big prob because of regs, so I need to get this sorted now.But with other things,to tell the truth,I have lost all conferdence in the guy. NICEEC rules say I put in writing 2 him, which I will do. But where then.Blakey gave me comment on this.Sparks did not want to know.[/quote]

SHANE
I SUCCESSFULLY AFTER MUCH PREPARATION HAD MY DOMESTIC
INSTALLER ASSESSMENT FOR PART P ON THURSDAY WITH THE
NICEIC.
I PASSED THE ASSESSMENT AND AM NOW REGISTERED AS A PART P INSTALLER AND CAN SELF CERTIFY MY WORK.
UNTILL I PASSED I WAS USING MY BROTHER IN LAW WHO IS PART P
REGISTERED WITH THE ECA AS MY QUALITY SUPERVISER TO SIGN MY CERTIFICATES.
THE POINT I WANT TO MAKE IS THAT I PRESENTED TO THE AREA ENGINEER ASSESSING ME FROM NICEIC , TWO HIGH STANDARD JOBS ,
BOTH REWIRES FOLLOWING CONTRUCTION WORK. 1 A EXTENSION AND THE OTHER A KITCHEN AND BEDROOM 2 BATHROOM REFURB.
BOTH WERE TOTALLY RWIRED AS I CONDEMMED THE WIRING.
THE TWO KITCHENS ONE NEWLY BUILT , AND THE OTHER HACKED BACK
TO CARCASSING STAGE ,AND ENLARGED WERE SPECIAL LOCATIONS
IT WAS A FATALITY OCCURING IN A KITCHEN BACK SOME YEARS AGO
THAT HAS BROUGHT ABOUT PART P AS U PROBALY KNOW.
I TO THE BOOK ( BS7671 ) WIRED THE WHOLE 2 JOBS.
MY SOCKETS WERE 300 MM + FROM SINKS AND COOKER HOBS / COOKING APPLIANCE.
SOCKET HIEGHT MIDDLE OF 2 TILE TO CENTRE OF SOCKET.
MY WORK WAS FOUND ACCEPTABLE.
SO U NEED TO PUT IN WRITING TO NICEIC WHAT HAS GONE ON AND
U WANT THEM TO ASK THAT CONTRACTER TO ADJUST HIS WORK TO
WHAT IS SUGGESTED IN THE REGS.
U SHOULD ALSO CONSULT TRADING STANDARDS AND EXPLAIN THAT
ALTHOUGH THE BS 7671 ARE NOT STATUORY AND R THERE FOR
GUIDANCE, U HAVE THE RIGHT TO ASK THAT THE STANDARD OF WORKMANSHIP AT LEAST FOLLOWS WHAT IN IN THE BOOK.
IF U WANT ME TO RING NICEIC 4 U AS A NOW REGISTERED MEMBER I WILL.
BLAKEY1963[/i]

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Thu Feb 22, 2024 4:56 am