Kitchen Extractor Fan
Help and information on all topics relating to your central heating, air conditioning and ventilation issues.

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Hope
Labourer
Labourer

Kitchen Extractor Fan

by Hope » Mon Feb 09, 2009 4:40 pm

I'm new here, and hope I'm in the right place.
I need some advice on a kitchen extractor fan - not mine!
My neighbour has an extractor fitted on an internal wall, and the duct goes into the cavity wall between our houses. When they cook for long lengths of time (as they often do) the smell comes into our airing cupboard and then into the whole house. We have tried talking to them :x but they insist they use the fan on circulation only.
We have agreed that we can get somebody in to look at the extractor and confirm whether the circulation fan option is totally that .... but if it is how can the smells be coming through into our house? We certainly don't want to move - though have thought about it!! What can we do? What can they do?

Many thanks.

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

by stoneyboy » Tue Feb 10, 2009 9:54 pm

Hope,
If the extractor has a duct running from it then it is probably extracting into that duct. The outlet of the duct should be to outside air not into the cavity between your houses.
When the inspection is done have a look to see where the duct terminates, if it is in the cavity try to persuade your neighbour to get it modified.
If this fails your next move is to your local BC dept.
end

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1