Kitchen Floor Tiling Advice on Tiling Over Existing Covering

Postby veitchy » Mon Mar 28, 2016 6:18 am

Hey everyone,
pretty much brand new to all DIY accept from a minor bit of roofing when I was younger with my old man and some laminate floor here and there.

So I've just brought my own house and started doing the kitchen and want to tile the floor currently, its the old council stuff like the sticky tiles or whatever they can be described as.

My question is where to start do I just lay my new tiles straight on top or will I have to take up the old ones and then re-level etc?

Thanks in advance

Veitchy~
veitchy
Progress to next rank:
0%

Sponsor

Simply Build It

Postby lets have a look » Mon Mar 28, 2016 11:11 am

you will have to take up the old ones but be aware that they might contain asbestos
lets have a look
Progress to next rank:
4.3%

Postby welsh brickie » Mon Mar 28, 2016 12:21 pm

if the old floor is solid with no loose tiles, then use a pva solution on it, then lay a latex self level compound over the entire floor
welsh brickie

Postby veitchy » Mon Mar 28, 2016 12:41 pm

Thats great mate Also my kitchen units are already fitted should i just move the kkckboards and tile unto there or remove units? thanks again
veitchy
Progress to next rank:
0%

Postby lets have a look » Wed Apr 06, 2016 3:20 pm

I would remove the kickboards and tile a little underneath but you might have to shave the kickboards
lets have a look
Progress to next rank:
4.3%

Sort by
Order by

• DIY How to Project Guides

• DIY how to tutorial projects and guides - Did you know we have a DIY Projects section? Well, if no, then we certainly do! Within this area of our site have literally hundreds of how-to guides and tutorials that cover a huge range of home improvement tasks. Each page also comes with pictures and a video to make completing those jobs even easier!