kitchen lighting, fused spur/ mains lighting circuit?
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

6 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
benny
Apprentice
Apprentice

kitchen lighting, fused spur/ mains lighting circuit?

Post by benny » Thu May 29, 2008 9:59 pm

Hi,
I want to change the lighting under my kitchen units to mini fluoresent tubes (low enery 10w slimline ones) in the instructions it says they should be fitted to a plug with a 3a fuse or into a fused switch, the 3 existing lights are wired into the mains lighting circuit via a junction box. Can these be wired staight to the mains in the same way, if not is there a way of wiring them to the existing lighting circuit and using the existing switches?

Thanks Ben

ericmark

Post by ericmark » Fri May 30, 2008 10:32 am

fluorescent lights do need fusing but there is no reason why you should not feed the fusing unit from the main lights.
But:-
1) You need to wire to lamp not switch as there are no neutrals in the switch.
2) It will come under Part P look at links in Projects section.
So I would swap junction box for a fused spur unit.

benny
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by benny » Sun Jun 08, 2008 10:58 pm

Thanks for the reply, I thought fused sockets were to be used on a ring main or for a spur off a ring main, so its doesnt matter that the powers coming from a lighting circuit, I can keep the existing loop-in system and use a fused socket to connect wire to the fluorecent tube wire to the lighting circuit?

ericmark

Post by ericmark » Mon Jun 09, 2008 7:23 pm

I have not mentioned a socket. Looking as Screwfix as an example 29775 MK 13A DP FCU is just a fuse holder and 13479 MK 13A DP Sw FCU also has a switch. Many fluorescent lamps have the fuse build into the lamp. The main thing is to follow manufactures instructions if it says fuse to 3 amp then fuse to 3 amp. I think that the 6 amp which most lighting circuits are limited to is most likely enough but I can’t really tell you that is enough in case there is something which I am unaware of. The rules which we follow are contained in a big red book and to tell you all the rules would take a lot longer than I can spend on here. You would not connect a normal 13 amp socket to a lighting circuit although there are special sockets and plugs designed for lights. I do not like DIY but neither do I like Part P which rather than making things safer has resulted in forcing things underground but there is good reason for making kitchens a special location and before continuing you need to do a risk assessment is the risk to your family worth the money saved?

All best Eric

BadBoab
Labourer
Labourer

Post by BadBoab » Fri Aug 06, 2010 6:53 am

ericmark wrote:fluorescent lights do need fusing but there is no reason why you should not feed the fusing unit from the main lights.
But:-
1) You need to wire to lamp not switch as there are no neutrals in the switch.
2) It will come under Part P look at links in Projects section.
So I would swap junction box for a fused spur unit.

When you say Part P Projects section, do you mean e actual Part P of the Building Regs or is this content of a Part P course? Thanks Boab

ericmark
Project Manager
Project Manager

Post by ericmark » Sat Aug 07, 2010 1:18 am

I was referring to building regulations there is no Part P qualification. Electricians can pay an annual fee to self certificate their work and become a member of a "Competent Persons Scheme" which means they don't have to inform the LABC before starting or pay their high fees which seem to start at £100+.

As a result any work less than £200 which is notifiable is not really worth doing as DIY.

6 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Mon Feb 19, 2024 8:23 pm