Kitchen Mixer Tap Identification
All aspects of plumbing questions and answers, help, tips and information

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Mike P.
Apprentice
Apprentice

Kitchen Mixer Tap Identification

by Mike P. » Sun Mar 07, 2010 10:35 am

I have a kitchen mixer tap purchased from the now defunct Texas Homecare chain (bought out by Homebase in 1999) and the spout is leaking from the base. It needs new O rings and I would like to determine the exact size for these (i.e. internal diameter and thickness). I've tried taking the spout to a plumbers merchant, but the sizing is hit or miss as their choice is often limited. Without the correctly specified rings, the leak is not permanently fixed.

The taps have a logo on the centre piece which looks like a circle with either a 'V' or an 'L' across it. Can anyone identify the manufacturer of this mixer tap for me?

plumbbob
Project Manager
Project Manager

by plumbbob » Sun Mar 07, 2010 12:55 pm

There are possibly 1000's of different brands and models of taps that have been available over the years so identifying your tap will be a real headache. Many were only produced in small batches and could appear under different brand names so even if you do manage to identify the make, finding the specs will be practically impossible anyway.

Generally, parts such as "O" rings will be standard so you might be able to find a source locally.

Having said that, I find that the mixer taps tend to wear badly around the joint and simply fitting new rings doesn't guarantee a watertight seal. As these taps can be bought for a minimal cost it would be wiser to install a new complete unit.

htg engineer
Project Manager
Project Manager

by htg engineer » Sun Mar 07, 2010 2:07 pm

You can get metric and imperial O ring sets - like this :
http://www.toolstation.com/images/libra ... /80033.jpg
Which will have the O ring you're after, but it depends on how much you want to spend, it'll cost £20+ for the two sets - however if one is unused you will be able to return it for a refund.

htg

Mike P.
Apprentice
Apprentice

by Mike P. » Mon Mar 08, 2010 10:22 am

Thanks for the inputs guys.

Yes plumbbob, I imagine so. I mentioned the logo just on the offchance that someone may recognise it. I'v re-examined it and rather than a 'V' or 'L' across the 'O', it could be an off-centre 'T'.

htg engineer - I had previously bought on speculation a 382 piece imperial set of O rings and would you believe that only one of them would fit the spout and that was the smaller, less important one! I'm just a DIYer and O ring kit buying is certainly not a cost-effective way of doing it! You end up with a host of O rings that will never fit anything. In theory, it's better to take the spout to a plumbers merchant, but often even they can't match your requirement. At least if I could have determined the correct spec for these O rings it would give me a better chance of getting the right ones.

Plumbbob, I think in the end as you suggest, a replacement tap may be the sensible decision in the long run.

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Tue Mar 26, 2024 6:23 am