Kitchen roof raising + window problem
Information, help and advice on many architecture, self build and design problems and issues

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
jimmyfivebellies
Apprentice
Apprentice

Kitchen roof raising + window problem

by jimmyfivebellies » Mon Jan 19, 2009 5:20 pm

I have a kitchen extension built on to the back of my Victorian terrace, roughly square shaped. It has a flat roof. Next door recently built a kitchen extension which is more or less joined onto ours but goes back further, and is also higher. Ideally, I would like to raise the roof level of our kitchen to match that of next door. Is this possible, or do I need to demolish the whole thing and start from scratch.

One other thing, next door have inserted a small, opaque window on the bit of their new kitchen that juts out beyond ours, meaning they have a window on what is effectively now the boundary wall. What would be the implications if we wanted to bring our kitchen out so that it went as far back as theirs with regard to the window?

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

by stoneyboy » Mon Jan 19, 2009 11:01 pm

jimmyfivebellies,
Don't see much point in increasing the height of your roof unless you are going to add a room ontop.
Your neighbours are not allowed to have a window looking out you way - complain the the Local PA. Or agree with your neighbour that the window will be closed off if you extend.
end

TheDoctor5

by TheDoctor5 » Tue Jan 20, 2009 11:48 am

Last year 64% of the questions asked in our forum were answered within our DIY project pages at www.diydoctor.org.uk/projects.htm The project pages are now separated alphabetically and your answers are accompanied by diagrams and the ability to see, and buy, the tools and/or required to complete your project. Use our search box to look for your answer and save a great deal of time and money!

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 1:06 pm