Kitchen's ring and switches
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
xjs1200
Apprentice
Apprentice

Kitchen's ring and switches

by xjs1200 » Thu Nov 29, 2007 5:19 pm

Hi, I had a look at the ring circuit article of your website, and then also had a look at some topics regarding electrical installations in kitchens. I understand the concept of the ring, and the reasons why a kitchen should have its own ring circuit. I also udenrtsand that it is useful for every applicance to have its own switch, normally placed above the socket where the appliance is connected. My question is how do you achieve the required continuity of the ring when dealing with sockets and switches? In addition, why the earth wire of a flat cable is not of the same size as live and neutral? By the way, these are questions to understand more electrical installations and not to put my hands into there. thanks

kbrownie
Project Manager
Project Manager

by kbrownie » Thu Nov 29, 2007 10:55 pm

hi xjs1200,
continuity of rings are tested back at the cu on socket outlet/power circuits, as that is where the phase neutral and earth inward and outward legs will be and can be connected and linked easy a few combination and at the light fittings on lighting circuits but again linked back at cu. The required continuity is that the resistance values should be within 0.05 ohm if conductors same size ie phase and neutral but the earth having a smaller area will be about 1.67 times higher.
Earth cable is under normal condition not designed to carry any current unless under fault condition so that's why not the same.
Regards
KB

ericmark

by ericmark » Sat Dec 01, 2007 3:15 am

The ring main only supplies the switches from the switch to socket it is a spur the switches are normally ratted at 20 amp so only a single socket is permitted.

Eric

xjs1200
Apprentice
Apprentice

by xjs1200 » Mon Dec 03, 2007 1:18 pm

Many thanks for the replies KB and Eric.

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Fri Apr 12, 2024 10:09 pm