Kitchen Studwork
If you want to know how your DIY projects could be affected by building and planning regulations, click here to post questions and view answers

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
nivagg
Labourer
Labourer

Kitchen Studwork

by nivagg » Fri Jan 07, 2011 9:45 am

I’m closing up an opening in my kitchen. I plan to do this with a studwork wall. Are there any regulations which cover the construction of the wall because it’s in a kitchen, i.e type/thickness of plasterboard used, number of layers of plasterboard, lagging to use in the cavity? If not, any recommendations?

Current plan is for the new wall to have a hatch in it (not over the cooked) - does that change anything?

Also, this wall will be finishing flush with the existing wall, how far recessed should the surface of the plasterboard be to allow a sensible depth of plaster (I shall have the whole wall skimmed - the existing wall won’t need any more than that).

A cooker and hood will back onto part of this wall – does that affect the construction?

Thanks
Nivagg

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

by stoneyboy » Fri Jan 07, 2011 5:57 pm

nivagg,
Use acoustic insulation in the wall pockets and face with 12.5mm plasterboard.
The junction between your masonry and stud wall will be a problem - consider overboarding into a corner.
end

nivagg
Labourer
Labourer

by nivagg » Sat Jan 08, 2011 10:21 am

Thanks for the quick response Stoneyboy. What is the nature of the problem with the interface between the two - is it that it will be difficult getting a snug fit, or is there a risk of the plaster cracking at the join due to different thermal expansions of the different materials?

Thanks
Nivagg

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

by stoneyboy » Sun Jan 09, 2011 11:22 pm

nivagg,
You will always get a crack along the line of the join.
end

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1