kitchen tiles, where do you start ?
Advice and information on tiling and fixing tiles to a variety of surfaces

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
ogon
Labourer
Labourer

kitchen tiles, where do you start ?

Post by ogon » Mon Jun 25, 2007 4:01 pm

I am going to attempt to tile my kitchen, the walls are pretty sound and surface good, my question is , where do you actually start from, sounds daft but none of my mates seem to know the answer.

stiz
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by stiz » Wed Jun 27, 2007 8:28 am

Hi

I'm a complete amateur at tiling but have just tiled my kitchen. I tiled three walls. On one I have a range cooker, so I started from the central point of this so that the 'splashback' area looks symetrical. On the wall with the window, I knew where I wanted the tiles to end, so I started there with a whole tile and worked backwards. The third wall I started from the middle.

Basically I wanted to make the whole think look symetrical, with cut tiles at the corners and not at the end of a run.

One mistake I made was not to check the spacing of the tiles. Get a piece of wood and mark a line of tiles on it so that you can check you don't end up with an unfeasibly thin tile at one end - I had to lower my extractor fan to avoid having to fit 5mm thin tiles at the top of my splashback!

I'm sure you'll get better advice from a professional, but this is what I did!

Good luck.

ogon
Labourer
Labourer

Post by ogon » Wed Jun 27, 2007 8:13 pm

Stiz,
thanks for your reply to my question,what you said makes my problem alot clearer, the idea of marking a piece of wood with the tile lay out will make it easier,I hope!,
thanks again
ogon.

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 5:13 am