Kitchen Wiring
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
TimPullin
Labourer
Labourer

Kitchen Wiring

by TimPullin » Mon Nov 05, 2007 2:32 pm

Hi all.
Having a new kitchen soon and I will be installing a new ring main(existing sockets radial). My question is:

I wish to install sockets under the worktops for appliances.
Do these have to be controlled by FCUs in the ring main(powering spurs) above the work tops or can they simply be unfused spurs taken from the above worktop sockets? (one per appliance)

Also Since I already have some wiring existing in the power circuit(plastic) can I use this as long as all NEW work is done in the new colours?

Also, what are the rules regarding distance from sinks etc?

Thanks
Tim

kuzz
Ganger
Ganger

by kuzz » Mon Nov 05, 2007 5:15 pm

I'd be a bad person if i didn't mention you should have a certificate for this type of work.
If the socket under the worktop becomes inaccessible because it's behind an appliance I'd recommend using a switched spur above the worktop, But you don't have to! You can spur from a socket on the ring main once. you may not spur from a spur. You can add to an existing circuit with new colors, but there must be a warning sticker on the fuseboad to say new & old colours have been mixed.

thedoctor

by thedoctor » Mon Nov 05, 2007 8:25 pm

Please read our project on Part P of the building regulations, it may very well affect everything you plan to do in the kitchen. Also see the rest of our electrical projects where new colour wiring as well as spurs and ring main wiring are covered.

TimPullin
Labourer
Labourer

by TimPullin » Tue Nov 06, 2007 9:27 pm

Thanks Guys. Certs all sorted.

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sun Apr 07, 2024 4:29 pm