Knackered central heating pump?

Postby michaelreynell » Sun Jan 04, 2009 4:38 pm

I've had a Grundfos Super Selectric UPS 15-50 pump running for about 8 years. The boiler is a 12-year old Potterton Kingfisher 2 (floor standing). Recently, I've found that the 3 ground floor radiators in the sitting room never get really hot, UNLESS I shut off the TRV valves on all the other radiators. Does this indicate that the pump needs replacing? Is there some way to be sure that this is the problem before I buy a new pump?
michaelreynell
Progress to next rank:
50%

Sponsor

Simply Build It

Postby plumbbob » Sun Jan 04, 2009 11:42 pm

It is probably more likely the system is starting to sludge up and the radiators need balancing better.

With the heating off, remove the large screw on the end of the pump and using a large flat bladed screwdriver fit it into the slot of the impeller shaft. Does it turn freely? If so, the pump is unlikely to be faulty.
plumbbob

Sort by
Order by

• DIY How to Project Guides

• DIY how to tutorial projects and guides - Did you know we have a DIY Projects section? Well, if no, then we certainly do! Within this area of our site have literally hundreds of how-to guides and tutorials that cover a huge range of home improvement tasks. Each page also comes with pictures and a video to make completing those jobs even easier!