Knackered Floor Joists and a Nagging Wife
Help, advice, information, answers and tips on all types of flooring from laminate and carpet to timber and vinyl

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Woody_Dude
Apprentice
Apprentice

Knackered Floor Joists and a Nagging Wife

by Woody_Dude » Mon Feb 09, 2009 11:42 pm

Hello,

My kicthen floor of my house (born 1889) is pretty knackered, most of the joists are shot and there has been a long term leak on the water supply that caused one area to go completely shot.

My task is to replace these joists, the lot, and redo the floor.

My issue is that these are the originals on a downstairs floor in the kitchen and I am trying to work out how best to do.

I have no idea how I can fit the whole 2.5m span into the holes in both sides of the walls? So I was thinking of using joist hangers on one side, and using the existing hole from the old joists on the other. Or is it better to use a big piece of timber as a wall plate and screw into the brickwork on the good and dry side of the room and hang joist hangers and set into the wall this way?

Any ideas on best way of doing would be appreciated.

May save an ear bending too.

Thanks, G.

thedoctor

by thedoctor » Tue Feb 10, 2009 10:35 am

See the DIY Prtojects section on replacing a timber floor

Woody_Dude
Apprentice
Apprentice

by Woody_Dude » Tue Feb 10, 2009 11:28 am

Checked the replacing a timber floor section, and is not that helpful.

I don't have a wall plate, I have a 2 brick thick non cavity wall with holes in the brickwork to take the floor joist, not any kind if support wall plate.

Any ideas?

rosebery
Project Manager
Project Manager

by rosebery » Thu Feb 12, 2009 8:56 pm

The "holes" should be deep enough so that you can slide a new joist into one end far enough that you can get the other end into it's corresponding "hole". Then slide the joist back towards the second "hole" so that it sits evenly between them.

May take a bit of trial end error work to get the joist just the right length to be able to fit it in but still leave max amount of timber in each "hole" when centered up.

If that doesn't work use a joist hanger at one end as you suggest.

Cheers

Woody_Dude
Apprentice
Apprentice

by Woody_Dude » Fri Feb 13, 2009 12:41 pm

Thanks Rosebery.

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:39 pm