Knock down part of internal wall
All manner of questions and solutions to problems and issues surrounding the subject of brickwork, blockwork and stonework

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
asfred
Labourer
Labourer

Knock down part of internal wall

Post by asfred » Wed Oct 28, 2009 12:10 pm

Hi there, I am new to this forum, though have used a lot of the advice on here to help with renovating my house.
I have an internal wall, on my 1st floor, in a cupboard. I am looking to put in a staircase to the loft space.
The wall runs the same direction as my ceiling joists, so pretty sure it is not load bearing. There is also no wall below it (the stairs are below).
My question is how easily, bearing in mind that you agree it's not load bearing, is it to take out say the top metre or so of this wall?
Would I need to put any structure back in it's place?
Thanks in advance for any advice.

acsimpson
Foreman
Foreman

Post by acsimpson » Wed Oct 28, 2009 3:04 pm

You also need to bear in mind that something needs to take the load of your staircase. Getting a structural engineer in may seem like a lot of expense but it may save you even more in the long run.

Having said that removing the top of a wall should be fairly easy. How you would go about it would depend on it's structure. And as with a lot of jobs the hard part is getting a decent finish once the jobs done.

ironmonkey
Labourer
Labourer

Post by ironmonkey » Mon Nov 09, 2009 9:09 pm

Also depends what type of construction the wall is.The ceiling joists will need to be strengthened to take the top of the stair case.Fairly straight forward job by the sounds of it.

TheDoctor4
Project Manager
Project Manager

Help from DIY Doctor!

Post by TheDoctor4 » Fri Jun 25, 2010 6:42 pm

Let DIY Doctor help you to find quotes from vetted and trusted tradesman local to your area. Visit our Find a Tradesman page: https://www.diydoctor.org.uk/find_tradesmen/

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 2:18 am