knocking down wall between two rooms with artex ceilings
Re-generate an old or tired space and give it a fresh breath of life. Click here for answers, information and tips

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
diyconfused
Labourer
Labourer

knocking down wall between two rooms with artex ceilings

Post by diyconfused » Fri Feb 11, 2011 11:26 am

Hi there,

Apologies if this question's been asked/answered before - I couldn't find an answer.

We want to take out some walls dividing rooms with Artex ceilings that contain asbestos. Want to skim or get rid of the Artex, but we were going to knock down the walls first.

Would it be better to deal with the Artex before knocking down the wall? Is there a risk of exposure to asbestos dust if we go ahead and knock it down?

Thanks in advance!

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

Post by stoneyboy » Mon Feb 14, 2011 10:29 pm

diyconfused,
Assuming the artex is on the ceiling only you should be able to remove the wall without disturbing the ceiling. Whatever you see on TV you should always be wearing a mask when doing dusty operations.
end

diyconfused
Labourer
Labourer

ideal isar boiler

Post by diyconfused » Mon Aug 08, 2011 11:22 am

Hello,
I have a no good ideal isar boiler that is functioning but very badly fitted and has some problems with heat exchange etc.

i am doing up my house - new rads, bathrooms etc. is it worth keeping the ideal until it packs up completely, or forking out now to replace it?

thanks

Perry525
Site Agent
Site Agent

Post by Perry525 » Fri Aug 12, 2011 5:06 pm

If the ceilings in both rooms are in the same plane, you may be able to bodge them, pulling them down will have a better long term result.
It may well be that the artex has embedded white asbestos, however, we breath in asbestos every day as it is in the air all over the world and it does us no harm.
Provided you do not use power tools on artex, the asbestos will remain embedded. You should be able to pull the plasterboard down without too much trouble.
As mentioned elsewhere do use a decent dust mask, 3M have a range 2125 that come in different sizes and you will be able to buy one with removable changeable filters that will last though out the job.

If the boiler is working keep it, new ones cost the earth.

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sun Apr 07, 2024 8:37 pm