Knocking in pipes

Postby robert pontet » Sat May 31, 2008 9:15 am

Hi,

I get knocking in my pipes when the hot water is turned on (with or without the heating on). If I turn on the water heating only, the boiler (including the pilot light) tends to go out after a lot of knocking; if I turn the heating on with the hot water the knocking continues but the boiler stays on. We live in an area with a high degree of hard water, could it be that I need to flush the heating system out? I've checked the flow on the cold water header tank, it good; the heating header tank is also up to level. My boiler is an old Glo-Worm Fuel Saver MK11 and it has recently been serviced by British Gas.

My regular plumber is not available for a couple of weeks hence the DIY!

Many thanks for any assistance
robert pontet
Progress to next rank:
50%

Sponsor

Simply Build It

Postby htg engineer » Sat May 31, 2008 2:21 pm

The boiler is over-heating, with just the water on the boiler cannot get rid of the heat so the pilot goes out. With the heating on the heat can be lost through the radiators.

Could be a faulty thermostat, air in system or as you say a hard water area - a build up of limescale.

htg
htg engineer

Postby robert pontet » Sun Jun 01, 2008 8:53 am

[quote="htg engineer"]The boiler is over-heating, with just the water on the boiler cannot get rid of the heat so the pilot goes out. With the heating on the heat can be lost through the radiators.

Could be a faulty thermostat, air in system or as you say a hard water area - a build up of limescale.

htg[/quote]

Many thanks for your response; I think a power flush is probably overdue, hopefully that will take care of the problem and if not at least I will have better heat in the rads come the winter!
robert pontet
Progress to next rank:
50%

Postby htg engineer » Sun Jun 01, 2008 7:59 pm

Yeah - powerflushes are well known for repairing thermostats.......

Powerflushes aren't cheap - and may not solve the problem

htg
htg engineer

Postby robert pontet » Mon Jun 02, 2008 7:05 am

[quote="htg engineer"]Yeah - powerflushes are well known for repairing thermostats.......

Powerflushes aren't cheap - and may not solve the problem

htg[/quote]

Ha, ha; yes, sorry I meant a power flush to clear the gunge from the system, but I have seen some of the product available to do that without the powerflush.

Are you referring to the thermostat on the boiler (it is set quite low)? Am I right in guessing that would be a 'pro' job to check/replace?

Cheers for your comments (including the irony!)
robert pontet
Progress to next rank:
50%

Sort by
Order by

• DIY How to Project Guides

• DIY how to tutorial projects and guides - Did you know we have a DIY Projects section? Well, if no, then we certainly do! Within this area of our site have literally hundreds of how-to guides and tutorials that cover a huge range of home improvement tasks. Each page also comes with pictures and a video to make completing those jobs even easier!