Knocking into a chimney breast
All manner of questions and solutions to problems and issues surrounding the subject of brickwork, blockwork and stonework

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
brucie
Labourer
Labourer

Knocking into a chimney breast

by brucie » Mon Sep 01, 2008 4:12 pm

i've removed the existing gas fire in the dining room of my house and would like to expand the hole to make it decorative.

Im aware i need to put in a new concrete lintel, but do i need to put up RSJ's whilst i am knocking out the wall?

welsh brickie
Project Manager
Project Manager

cutting out fireplace

by welsh brickie » Thu Sep 04, 2008 5:00 pm

the original fireplace was built with either a concrete lintol or it will have brick arch .
So it should be safe but if in any doubt use a acro prop and a device called a strong boy,Its a steel plate that fits on top of the acro and you can screw this up tight to existing brickwork .

TheDoctor5

by TheDoctor5 » Thu Jan 22, 2009 9:46 am

Last year 64% of the questions asked in our forum were answered within our DIY project pages at www.diydoctor.org.uk/projects.htm The project pages are now separated alphabetically and your answers are accompanied by diagrams and the ability to see, and buy, the tools and/or required to complete your project. Use our search box to look for your answer and save a great deal of time and money!

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 3:25 am