Laminate floor termination at downstairs staircase
Help, advice, information, answers and tips on all types of flooring from laminate and carpet to timber and vinyl

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
hotsunshine
Labourer
Labourer

Laminate floor termination at downstairs staircase

by hotsunshine » Mon Oct 03, 2011 7:13 am

Hi,

I am laying a wooden laminate floor at a landing with a rectangular area. The shorter side of that area connects to a staircase leading downwards. The staircase itself is covered with a carpet, which I don't want to change at the moment.

I want to lay down the wooden floor panels in parallel to the longer side of the rectangular area, as this would be the same orientation as inside the rooms and would also cause less problems with floor stretching/shrinking over time.
This caused me the question of how make a nice termination of the wooden floor at the beginning of the staircase. So far I found so-called stairnoses I could use to make a nice termination, but then again I struggle of how to connect the stairnose with the floor panels, which have 90-degree different orientation.
The only way so far I can imagine would be to use a T-profile between the stairnose and the laminate floor, which should work but doesn't look that elegant.

Are there any different proposal of how to terminate the wooden floor at the staircase?
Thanks for any ideas.

welsh brickie
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: Laminate floor termination at downstairs staircase

by welsh brickie » Mon Oct 03, 2011 10:31 am

cut the laminate to the stairs as close as possible,but leave a 5mm gap for expansion,then use a pvc quadrant trim to cover the gap,the pvc will bend to your requirements and comes in white,light oak,dark oak colours,and you can fix it with a clear silicone sealant.
If you dont like that idea you can buy colour coded sealant and finish it with that

hotsunshine
Labourer
Labourer

by hotsunshine » Tue Oct 04, 2011 11:02 pm

By using the pvc quadrant trim I guess you propose to use no stairnose at all?

I can imagine to use the pvc quadrant trim to give the floor panels a nice termination.
But then I still have the issue that this is the end of the floor before going downstairs.
I would then need something to fix the whole floor panels to the ground.

What I can imagine right now, is gluing a stairnose vertically on the top-star and
having it slightly longer than the ground in order to compensate for the thickness
of the floor panels. By this I would get a gap that I could fill?

thanks, Raymond

welsh brickie
Project Manager
Project Manager

by welsh brickie » Wed Oct 05, 2011 7:15 am

ok I see what you mean,you could fix your T joint on top of your laminate and cut a piece a quadrant and fix it to the T joint to fill the gap,to terminate the flooring at the top of the stairs.
I hope this helps.

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 5:59 am