Laminate flooring in bathroom with existing toilet/sink
Help, advice, information, answers and tips on all types of flooring from laminate and carpet to timber and vinyl

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Loki7430
Apprentice
Apprentice

Laminate flooring in bathroom with existing toilet/sink

by Loki7430 » Mon Jul 06, 2009 3:33 pm

Hi,

Wonder if you can help. I hoping to remove an existing carpet from our bathroom and fit laminate flooring instead. There is a hardboard floor with a sink and toilet screwed into it, and the carpet is laid around these.

Now, I had thought I'd need to lift the toilet and sink and lay the laminate underneath? But I am worried that by the time I lift it over the new laminate and underlay it will be a good centimetre or so higher than where it is now and the exisiting plumbing and waste pipes will now longer line up.

Am I better to leave them where they are, cut the laminate to fit and hide the gap with sealant, or is this too much of a bodge job!! I have done a bit of DIY but only a bit!!

Cheers

rosebery
Project Manager
Project Manager

by rosebery » Tue Jul 07, 2009 11:06 pm

Unless you want to adjust the plumbing you probably have no alternative than to cut round the existing sanitary ware. Make a paper template of thebase of the units and transfer that to the laminate. Use a down cutting blade in your jigsaw and you won't splinter the surface of the laminate. Oh and yes a bead of silicone around the base when you've finished.

Cheers

Loki7430
Apprentice
Apprentice

by Loki7430 » Thu Jul 09, 2009 12:08 am

Thanks for the tips... just remembered the top of the sink is also grouted and sealed in - another can of worms. Flooring around the exisitng units it is.

Thanks again....

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Fri Feb 23, 2024 12:16 pm