laminate flooring, where do i start???
Help, advice, information, answers and tips on all types of flooring from laminate and carpet to timber and vinyl

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
keen learner
Labourer
Labourer

laminate flooring, where do i start???

by keen learner » Thu Feb 19, 2009 9:16 pm

MAJOR PROBLEM!!

Well for me it is anyway :(
I'm about to start laying laminate flooring in my living room, I put the 1st row of boards down so I could see how it all works (never done this before!!). I've got a 8cm gap at the end of the 1st row excluding my 12mm expansion gap. When I cut the last board, my next row will only overlap by 8cm instead of 40cm, should I cut a board in half to get an overlap or let the overlap gradually build up or! is there another way to fill the gap? Also while I'm asking stupid questions, is a jigsaw better than a saw to cut the boards with?

rosebery
Project Manager
Project Manager

by rosebery » Thu Feb 19, 2009 10:31 pm

"I've got a 8cm gap at the end of the 1st row excluding my 12mm expansion gap."

Far too big. Cut the end off another board to fill the gap. Use the offcut from the board you have just cut as the first board in the next row so that the cut end is at the expansion joint and so on. If you plan it properly by using a cut board in the first row as well rather than whole boards you'll achieve the 40cm overlap you are looking for.

"When I cut the last board, my next row will only overlap by 8cm instead of 40cm, should I cut a board in half to get an overlap or let the overlap gradually build up or! is there another way to fill the gap?"

I think I've answered that above. Hope you understand what I mean.

"Also while I'm asking stupid questions,"

Nothing stupid about asking questions rather when the result of not asking is a ruined pile of laminate flooring.

"is a jigsaw better than a saw to cut the boards with?"

Yes use a jigsaw but make sure you use a laminate (cuts on downstroke only) blade. You'll get a much better finish. Keep an eye on the wear on the blade though and change it before it gets rough - which it will. You can also get a special laminate flooring cutting tool which operates just like a guillotine but I haven't used one so can't comment on their performance. Supposed to be quick mind!

Cheers

keen learner
Labourer
Labourer

by keen learner » Sat Feb 21, 2009 2:29 pm

thanks big help!!

rosebery
Project Manager
Project Manager

by rosebery » Sat Feb 21, 2009 7:53 pm

Nice to receive a thank you now and again - a lot of peeps can't be bothered!! Thank you for that.

Best of luck with your project.

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 6:33 pm