Laminate trimming
Kitchens, doors, rails, stud, tables, chairs, stair cases, garden furniture etc... Find answers and ask questions here!

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
nevans84
Labourer
Labourer

Laminate trimming

by nevans84 » Mon Aug 18, 2008 9:22 am

Hi - I'm going to buy a laminate trimmer primarily for trimming the laminate on the end of kitchen worktops - I've never actually seen this done - is it quite straight forward? Also any advice on which one I should get - Has anyone seen any videos on this - I've searched the web but not come up with anythindg as yet - any advice appreciated. :)

BoyElectric
Apprentice
Apprentice

by BoyElectric » Wed Aug 20, 2008 10:02 pm

Why not buy yourself a router and a flush trim router bit? A half decent router should cost you less than a laminate trimmer and will be much more versatile. If you're not planning to do laminate trimming on an industrial scale, what are you going to do with it after you've done the countertops? Once you've got a router, you'll probably find plenty of uses for it in the future.

Can't recommend any laminate trimmers but a Bosch POF 1200 AE should be sufficent for your requirements. Fairly lightweight with reasonable power and only £75.

chris_on_tour2002
Project Manager
Project Manager

by chris_on_tour2002 » Mon Sep 01, 2008 10:45 pm

i have a makita 3707F. at £132.00 plus £25 for the cutter its not cheap but I LOVE IT!!

boyelectric says just to use a router - you CAN do, and i have a laminate trimmer for my half inch de walt router but it can be a bit heavy and cumbersome on some projects such as worktop edging. its easy to slip and cause damage with a larger router whereas a proper trimmer is more lightweight and much easier to handle on smaller and more delicate projects - depends what you are intending to use it on.

though as boyelectric says you will find many more uses for a router. a trimmer is a trimmer and that's it.

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sat Apr 13, 2024 6:20 pm