Landing Light
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
kidd
Labourer
Labourer

Landing Light

by kidd » Sun Feb 01, 2009 3:33 pm

Help please as i am confused.
I am repacing complete ceiling light on landing, it is identical to the original, I have red, black, grey and neutral from the ceiling, red and neutral are tapped up, black and grey to block, so i released the old blue and brown from the block and have just tried to connect new lamp, but when i switch on the light is switchable from the single switch upstairs but the double switch downstairs doesnt work (switch is limp) all worked fine before, where have i gone wrong ? any help appreciated.

kbrownie
Project Manager
Project Manager

by kbrownie » Mon Feb 02, 2009 1:03 pm

Check the termination between cables are secure in taped up connection (wont be live and neutral will be live and live) wrong colours should be marked up, un-tape and connect in connection block. then blue flex to black and brown flex to grey.
I can only make assumption that the three core and earth cable has been used to connect two way at light fitting not the way I would do it. but there is no reason if it worked before it should not now.
KB

kidd
Labourer
Labourer

by kidd » Fri Feb 06, 2009 10:23 am

Thanks for that but now that is done i have a problem with the downstairs double switch, I thought i wired this like for like when replacing but i can not get it right, i have 2 x red 2 x black 1 x grey 1 x link wire? i have tried loads of combinations but i cant get it right surely someone can help with insruction or diagram please. :roll:

kbrownie
Project Manager
Project Manager

by kbrownie » Sun Feb 08, 2009 2:41 pm

Are these cables in singles or twin and earth? If twin and earth should be easier to indentify between light circuits.
So you have a red,black and within a sheath but sounds a odd combination.
Again working remote is a little difficult when you have mixed conductors up.
I'd be getting a Low Ohms resistance meter out to indentify cables, but I guess you don't have one kicking about?
The basic princibles should be LIVE/RED to Common, NEUTRAL/BLACK to L2 or L1, the Grey to L1 or L2 of your two way lighting circuit and the link must offering across connection live to other switch, so link across the two reds at the common on both sides of switch.
Please appreciate not all electricians follow the same methods of wiring up switches to lights. That's if it was wired correctly in the first place! Most of the time it is better to see to understand.
KB
KB

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 8:48 pm