I have a landing light, I blew up the switch when I wired all the reds and all the neutrals. So I looked at the instructions (madness, I know). I have 3 cables, one of which is marked with blue tape, which I have assumed is the switching wire. I have gathered together all the lives, the two neutrals from the non-marked cables and the 3 earths.
I have added the switching wire neutral (well, black wire) to the bundle of live wires, hey presto, I have light. HOWEVER, it is just on. The upstairs switch doesn't affect it, and the downstairs switch doesn't affect it. No switching off possible.
So I spat my dummy. What have I done wrong? Help me, I am a fool.
Hi your 3 live wires should not connect to the fittings flex only to each other, the taped Black sw. live should go to live of fitting, the neutrals you have right, the fact that the light stays on says you have got the looped through lives connected to the fitting! If you are replacing with a ceiling rose pendant you will find three centre terms linked together for your lives, 2 terms + blue of flex for your neutrals & 1 term. plus brown of flex for your switched L (blk taped), It's all in 'projects' in colour
I put all the lives together (not into the light fitting). The 2 neutrals into the neutral of the light fitting, and the switch wire neutral (well, black wire) into the live of the light fitting. Then I taped the earths together.
Hurrah! We have a switchable light and no-one has been electrocuted!
DIY how to tutorial projects and guides - Did you know we have a DIY Projects section? Well, if no, then we certainly do! Within this area of our site have literally hundreds of how-to guides and tutorials that cover a huge range of home improvement tasks. Each page also comes with pictures and a video to make completing those jobs even easier!