Advice and information on tiling and fixing tiles to a variety of surfaces

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
goryon13
Labourer
Labourer

Laying a concrete floor

by goryon13 » Fri Jan 30, 2009 7:44 pm

Hi
I live in France the kitchen floor has tiles on it but they are put down on earth. I want to lift the tiles and dig out the floor to 4inches and put down concrete, the size of the area is 4 metresX 12Metres can some one tell me how much Sand ,cement and gravel I would need I have tried the calculator but i am not that sure about it. Please help
Goryon13

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

by stoneyboy » Sat Jan 31, 2009 6:11 pm

goryon13,
If you do as proposed you will need 4.8 cu metres of mix. You could ignore the cement used to make the mix because bulking of the sand will compensate for the extra volume. The sand/aggregate mix should be about 50/50.
BUT
With the area you are describing 4" of concrete will crack and break especially when laid on dirt. I suggest you increase the depth to 6" and incorporate reinforcing mesh in the concrete.
end

goryon13
Labourer
Labourer

Tiling Floor

by goryon13 » Sun Feb 01, 2009 1:54 pm

[quote="stoneyboy"]goryon13,
If you do as proposed you will need 4.8 cu metres of mix. You could ignore the cement used to make the mix because bulking of the sand will compensate for the extra volume. The sand/aggregate mix should be about 50/50.
BUT
With the area you are describing 4" of concrete will crack and break especially when laid on dirt. I suggest you increase the depth to 6" and incorporate reinforcing mesh in the concrete.
end[/quote]
Than You very much I was thinking of making it 6" and putting in reinforcing mesh
Goryon

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sun Apr 14, 2024 5:13 pm