Laying a new concrete floor adjacent to an existing one....
Help, advice, information, answers and tips on all types of flooring from laminate and carpet to timber and vinyl

bandh
Labourer
Labourer

Laying a new concrete floor adjacent to an existing one....

by bandh » Tue Sep 16, 2008 9:24 pm

Hi

I live in a Victorian terrace house and I am currently in the process of redoing my kitchen. I have removed a toilet from the rear of the kitchen. The floor level of the toilet was higher than the rest of the kitchen both of which are concrete. I suspect that the toilet floor was added at a later date. I have removed the floor, back to soil and it was separate from the main kitchen floor.

I need to relay the floor in the old toilet area. I have a couple of queries that I would appreciate some help with.

1) What are the current regs for concrete floors eg how deep does the concrete need to be, what do I need under the concrete - insulation etc...

2) How would I manage the DPC? I suspect that the existing floor in the kitchen does not have a good DPC.

3) Kind of relating to no. 2 above but how do I manage the transition between the old floor and the new floor? Do I just pour the new floor right up against the old one?

Thank yon in advance of your assistance.

Ben

It is currently Mon Apr 22, 2024 10:35 am