Laying a new patio dry cement or mortar (muck)?
Post your questions and get answers regarding all areas of drives, pathways and patios

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Scootter
Labourer
Labourer

Laying a new patio dry cement or mortar (muck)?

by Scootter » Thu Apr 29, 2010 12:24 pm

Hi,

We have a plan to replace some lawn with a paving slab patio, and the more I read the more confused I am getting. :)

I was planning on digging down, and laying a mortar base of (here is the first question) 6:1 or 8:1 Sharp Sand / Concrete mix, 50mm deep directly on the soil.

The soil in our area is very heavy and mostly clay, so I am thinking a layer of hardcore is not required.

I do plan to do the test of hammering the 50mmx50mm peg to be sure, but am fairly confident once it's roto-vated, dug and tamped, the mortar base on the soil will be ok.

The patio guide here is brilliant, although the concrete calulator confused me since I am not going to use ballast...

So, (question 2), do I simply take the cement figure and multiply by 6/8 to get the amount of sharp sand I require?

Finally, (question 3), do I need to hire a concrete mixer to mix the (muck) or can I just do it in a wheelbarrow?

We plan a flower bed next to a retaining wall at the end away from the house, so I am not concerned with drainage channels etc.

Any tips would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Scott

P.S. for mi

TheDoctor4
Project Manager
Project Manager

Help from DIY Doctor!

by TheDoctor4 » Mon Jun 28, 2010 7:43 pm

Discover how easy it is to find vetted and insured tradesman local to your area with the help of DIY Doctor. Visit our Find a Tradesman area: https://www.diydoctor.org.uk/find_tradesmen/

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 6:58 am