Layout advice for a new rear extension to use space effectively
Your comments on how to design the perfect home - And help others do it !

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Gio76
Labourer
Labourer

Layout advice for a new rear extension to use space effectively

by Gio76 » Thu Aug 11, 2016 12:30 pm

Hi All,

We are in the process of building a 6m rear extension and are thinking about how to use the space most effectively. The basic layout is attached. We would like to have a kitchen with island unit, table (opens to 2m) and therefore dining area and then ideally a lounge area. We also want to include a small toilet and, if at all possible, a utility area (but are open to this possibly being included in higher kitchen units).

We have a couple of ideas but are aware that we don't have much experience and others might see a far better plan.

Any advice/ideas greatly appreciated.

Gio
Attachments
GF plan gif1.gif

marcinm
Labourer
Labourer

Re: Layout advice for a new rear extension to use space effectively

by marcinm » Sun Aug 14, 2016 2:30 pm

Hi, could you attache some pictures of the space? I can try to help you but need some more visual information. The best would be to take one shoot from each corner.
Marcin

Gio76
Labourer
Labourer

by Gio76 » Tue Aug 16, 2016 6:30 pm

Hi Marcin, thanks very much for answering.

The problem is that it is a bit of a building site at the moment and we're not on site for a bit. I've attached a couple of pics the builder sent me from outside to get a bit of an idea, sorry it's not more. Will they do?

It seems a bit smaller than what we were imagining. The internal width is 4.5m which is probably what is giving us that impression as we were always working off the assumption that the walls would be more or less in line with the existing walls in the kitchen and back room. We had thought of the back room becoming a sort of tv room (it will be a bit darker and more enclosed) but are now wondering if the extension will be big enough to contain the kitchen with island and our table and chairs. Had even considered the new kitchen to be in the original backroom. Toilet to be located in the "old" kitchen area. We wondered about how access would work (there is currently a door into the backroom from the entrance hall) and through the old kitchen. Sorry, rambling now. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated as you can probably tell we're in a muddle.

Many thanks for any help you can offer!
Attachments
IMG-20160810-WA0001.gif
IMG-20160729-WA0002 (1).gif

Gio76
Labourer
Labourer

by Gio76 » Tue Aug 16, 2016 7:58 pm

Hi Marcin, thanks for replying. Hope this post gets through.

Problem is that it is a bit of a building site at the moment and we are not on site for a bit. I have attached two photos the builder sent us, will they do?

It seems smaller than we had imagined; I think we were working off the assumption that it would be as wide as the existing walls, but it isn't quite - the internal width is 4.5m.

Our original thought was to use the back room as a tv room (darker and more enclosed) and then the kitchen, island and table in the extension with the toilet somewhere in the old kitchen area. Having seen the pictures, however, we are a little unsure if the extension bit is big enough for what we had thought. Had even considered the kitchen going into the old back room, but aren't sure. Also thought about the access which at the moment runs through the old kitchen area and also through the door into the old back room.

We're a bit muddled as you can tell. Any ideas, no matter how radical, would be greatly appreciated - we just can't seem to get beyond those two ideas and we're not even sure they would fit!

Many thanks again for any advice you have.
Attachments
IMG-20160810-WA0001.gif
IMG-20160729-WA0002 (1).gif

marcinm
Labourer
Labourer

by marcinm » Thu Sep 01, 2016 10:44 pm

Hi Gio and sorry for delay. I'm a bit confused about the pictures...It looks like they were taken in different phases of a project. Am I right? Will the column in the middle (with a rain pipe) going to stay? How about the wall in the middle?
What kind of windows and doors will the rear extension have? It looks like it will be a very dark place. It is important then to think how to get the most from the natural lightning. Is it ground floor extension? Or there will be also a second floor? If this is only grand floor extension would it be still possible to make a windows in the roof? To give you more tips I would need to see more pictures. I have attached your floor plan to this mesaage, the arrows mark where the picture should be taken from. They will give me more idea how is the space.

Marcin
Attachments
gil-3.jpg

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sat Mar 23, 2024 5:42 am