Lead pipe to gas meter
Information, help and advice on many gas related subjects from gas fires to domestic appliances

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
llanelliboy1959
Labourer
Labourer

Lead pipe to gas meter

by llanelliboy1959 » Mon Jan 28, 2008 11:00 pm

Hi Just moved into old house. The pipe from the outside of the property which comes into the kitchen and connect to the gas meter is made from lead. Is this ok or do I need to have it replaced? If it need to be replaced do the gas board do it or do I have to employ a Corgi plumber to fix the problem. Thanx.

htg engineer
Project Manager
Project Manager

by htg engineer » Tue Jan 29, 2008 9:40 pm

Existing lead gas pipework is still ok, a gas tightness test will test all connections, gas meter, pipework and appliances up to the ECV (emergency control valve). If this is sound then the lead pipework is fine. Alterations and adaptations to the lead is not allowed and the lead would have to be replaced with an anaconda or copper pipe.

If there's still lead from the ECV to the goverenor - then the governor is probably past it. Get transco out to check/replace governor and they should replace the lead pipework with an anaconda.

There's a couple of types of old governors that have to be replaced whether ok or not.

If the lead is after the meter - then it's your responsibility

Hope this helps

lucadobe
Apprentice
Apprentice

by lucadobe » Mon Jan 11, 2010 5:28 pm

[quote="htg engineer"]Existing lead gas pipework is still ok, a gas tightness test will test all connections, gas meter, pipework and appliances up to the ECV (emergency control valve). If this is sound then the lead pipework is fine. Alterations and adaptations to the lead is not allowed and the lead would have to be replaced with an anaconda or copper pipe.

If there's still lead from the ECV to the goverenor - then the governor is probably past it. Get transco out to check/replace governor and they should replace the lead pipework with an anaconda.

There's a couple of types of old governors that have to be replaced whether ok or not.

If the lead is after the meter - then it's your responsibility

Hope this helps[/quote]why is it the responsibility of the client if the lead is after the meter i have been told i have to pay for pipe work to be replaced which is lead ..so i'm not bothering after all the meter isn't something we put in anyway

htg engineer
Project Manager
Project Manager

by htg engineer » Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:34 pm

Because from the outlet of the meter, all the piepwork to the cooker, boiler and fire etc is the landlord/homeowners responsibility.

htg

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 4:21 pm