Leak or Condensation??
Help and information on all topics relating to your central heating, air conditioning and ventilation issues.

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
prittstick
Labourer
Labourer

Leak or Condensation??

Post by prittstick » Wed Dec 16, 2009 8:18 pm

I have an oil fired central heating system with a storage tank in an upstairs airing cupboard.It has been installed I guess about 8/10 years.

The storage tank has the usual foam insulation .It was installed straight on the floor of the airing cupboard ( which is carpeted) and recently we noticed that the carpet was damp ( this could have been happening over a long period) we took the carpet away to discover that the chip board floor was damp and rotten on a patch the size of a saucer.We cant actually pin point a leak but as the bottom of the tank is cold it seems to attract condensation and from time to time drips intermittently..

Is it condensation? should it be installed off the ground with an air gap? Or has it got a leak? :?

Any help much appreciated.

pritt

rosebery
Project Manager
Project Manager

Post by rosebery » Thu Dec 17, 2009 11:10 pm

Could have a pinhole leak difficult to tell from here. The bottom of the cylinder will be cold because thats where the cold feed from the Cold Water Storage Tank in the roof comes in.

Is it an insulation foam jacket tied around the cylinder or is it foam thats attached (for want of a better expression) to the cylinder?

Is the insulation itself wet?

I think you'll be needing to strip some of the insulation off to find out.

It could be corrosion at the union where the cold feed is connected to the cylinder. It could also be corrosion where the primary circuit connects to the coil and its running down. Check those as well.

BTW if its a leak in the cylinder itself it will not be repairable and that requires a new cylinder. Under the latest regulations this work is notifiable to your BCO in order to ensure / confirm that it's energy efficient. If it is not a fully pumped installation it will need to be converted to comply with those regs as well.

Cheers

prittstick
Labourer
Labourer

Post by prittstick » Sun Dec 20, 2009 1:06 pm

Roseberry, thank you kindly for your reply and help.

I will investigate further as you suggest.It has a ready made foam that is attached insulation as opposed to the tie around type. The insulation doesnt appear to be wet..

Many thanks

p

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1