Leakage/Overflow? from Potterton ProMAX HE.
Help and information on all topics relating to your central heating, air conditioning and ventilation issues.

12 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
landau1945
Apprentice
Apprentice

Leakage/Overflow? from Potterton ProMAX HE.

by landau1945 » Sun Aug 24, 2008 10:55 am

I have aPotterton Promax HE wall cupboard mounted condensing boiler,in a newish 4yrs old flat.
Yesterday and for the first time ever,in the morning I noticed a big puddle of water on the kitchen worktop and water along the lower wooden rail of the cupboard.
It stayed dry all day,then the same thing this morning after first start up.
The water is not coming from the flat above,neither from any of the supply pipes-all bone dry.
Could this be a condensate problem? How does the condensing trap or valve work?Is it electronically controlled?Do you think the valve or whatever it is needs replacing?
Does anybody haver any solutions and /or causes.
Look forward to replies.Help it's bank holiday and I know these things always get worse over time,especially on holiday periods.

htg engineer
Project Manager
Project Manager

by htg engineer » Sun Aug 24, 2008 8:35 pm

In the morning the boiler will be used more, for washing and showering etc. As it only seems to leak when in use it points towards the condensate discharge that is leaking, either the trap or pipework.

If it was anything else I would expect to see water all of the times, as the rest of the boiler is always full of water. Whereas the condensate part of the boiler, is only full when the boiler is in use.

The condensate trap is at the bottom, back, left of boiler.

htg

landau1945
Apprentice
Apprentice

by landau1945 » Mon Aug 25, 2008 2:30 pm

[quote="htg engineer"]In the morning the boiler will be used more, for washing and showering etc. As it only seems to leak when in use it points towards the condensate discharge that is leaking, either the trap or pipework.

If it was anything else I would expect to see water all of the times, as the rest of the boiler is always full of water. Whereas the condensate part of the boiler, is only full when the boiler is in use.

htg[/quote]

Thanks HTG Eng.-I've got the Corgi man coming tomorrow.I suppose I could drain and clear it myself but why get in to any problems when I pay for breakdown insurance.I left a cloth under the boiler overnight and after the boiler switched on at 6.30 am when I examined at 8am the left hand side only,of the cloth was damp/wet.This is the side that the trap is on.
Thank you for your advice and confirmation of my thoughts,which will help when the engineer comes.Just an aside -shouldn't condensate traps be part of the annual service.?Not on mine by the way.

landau1945
Apprentice
Apprentice

Leaking/Overflowing water Promax Boiler

by landau1945 » Tue Aug 26, 2008 9:11 am

[quote="landau1945"][quote="htg engineer"]In the morning the boiler will be used more, for washing and showering etc. As it only seems to leak when in use it points towards the condensate discharge that is leaking, either the trap or pipework.

htg[/quote]

Thanks HTG Eng.-I've got the Corgi man coming tomorrow.I suppose I could drain and clear it myself but why get in to any problems when I pay for breakdown insurance.I left a cloth under the boiler overnight and after the boiler switched on at 6.30 am when I examined at 8am the left hand side only,of the cloth was damp/wet.This is the side that the trap is on.
Thank you for your advice and confirmation of my thoughts,which will help when the engineer comes.Just an aside -shouldn't condensate traps be part of the annual service.?Not on mine by the way.[/quote]

Well Corgi man came.Nothing wrong with condensate trap he says.Not cracked,no sludge,etc.If it was overflowing then the dry sensors would cut in and stop the boiler he says.No other leakage from heat exchanger etc.Could be blockage in condensate pipe,but he can't do this so will send in plumber.Hells bells I see a long saga here going round in circles .Good job I'm semi retired and can hang around a bit waiting!!
Any more ideas HTG Eng.?Thanks

landau1945
Apprentice
Apprentice

Promax Boiler leak

by landau1945 » Sun Aug 31, 2008 6:24 pm

Identified leak AT LAST.I left the boiler overnight and let it cool then looked at it before it fired up again.I took off all the various bits and pieces and looked to the right of the heat exchanger.There is a tube thing going in at the bottom. and it was wet at the joint.Anyway thats what it looked like to me.
Called heating engineer an he confirmed.Said it was an ''O'' ring/gasket that had gone and needed replacement.had to order from Baxi.
Said it was not uncommon in these boilers. The boiler is only 4 yrs old.
What do they use ? Chewing gum?

I await his news about the spare and go from there.Of course he made the usual noises about crap Potterton boilers,difficult job,have to drain down and why do plumbers run pipes up and over in new build flats which can give rise to airlocks when re-filling after draing down=- blah blah.
Get on with it I say.It's your job and I'm paying.

screech
Ganger
Ganger

by screech » Tue Sep 02, 2008 11:47 pm

not a very clear description - outside the main combustion case i.e under the black control box or inside the case (those 4 screws to remove the cover)?

these boilers have had trouble with a leaking condensate trap (clear box at the bottom under the heat exchanger) but this was modified, also a leaking flow switch (black plastic bit with a cable coming from it) at the top above the black control box. either of these sound right?

landau1945
Apprentice
Apprentice

Promax HE Leak

by landau1945 » Wed Sep 03, 2008 4:27 pm

Inside the case.
Does this help.?
Thanks

landau1945
Apprentice
Apprentice

Promax HE Leak

by landau1945 » Thu Sep 04, 2008 11:04 am

Leak was on the heat exchange manifold.The sealing ring was split and generally shot(polite word).New one fitted OK.
Now plumber/engineer trying to get rid of airlocks to get the boiler working again.Situated in flat and not enough bleed valves on the system.
he says.Slow job.
Pain in the posterior.

htg engineer
Project Manager
Project Manager

by htg engineer » Thu Sep 04, 2008 3:21 pm

Pressurised system ???

Vent radiator, open auto airvent - easiest systems to refill.

htg

landau1945
Apprentice
Apprentice

ProMax HE leak.

by landau1945 » Sun Sep 07, 2008 7:00 pm

[quote="htg engineer"]Pressurised system ???

Vent radiator, open auto airvent - easiest systems to refill.

htg[/quote]
Thanks for your comments
Leak fixed, most air bled from the system and all up and running.
Still a bit ''gurgly'' but quietening down by the day !

ruudk
Labourer
Labourer

Sealing heat exchanger

by ruudk » Sun Oct 05, 2008 1:46 pm

I have the same problem. When removing the heat exchanger manifold the screws broke off and had to drill them out.
I now more or less managed to get new screws in but the leaking is really bad.
Any tip on where to get a new sealing ring for the heating exchange manifold? Haven't been able to find this one.

Thanks,
Ruud

landau1945
Apprentice
Apprentice

Re: Sealing heat exchanger

by landau1945 » Mon Oct 06, 2008 10:47 am

[quote="ruudk"]I have the same problem. When removing the heat exchanger manifold the screws broke off and had to drill them out.
I now more or less managed to get new screws in but the leaking is really bad.
Any tip on where to get a new sealing ring for the heating exchange manifold? Haven't been able to find this one.

Thanks,
Ruud[/quote]

My plumber no doubt got it from Potterton/Baxi themselves,but while I was researching the whole thing I came across an e-bay seller/dealer called UK Heating Spares and Controls.
They do the manifold and gasket for around £12.The catalogue/spares no. is 242493.So it might be worth getting the whole kit especially as you say the screws are knackered..I watched the plumber fitting mine and he used some Worcester Bosch(the best he said) sealant in the groove and over the gasket,to ensure no movement of the gasket and also extra watertightness, before fitting and tightening up.
As I mentioned in my earlier post -when we examined the defective gasket it was like old chewing gum and split in the middle.It really makes you wonder what lousy materials they use these days.This was after 4 yrs use.Not long really for a new boiler.
Good luck

12 posts   •   Page 1 of 1