Leaking Asbestos Garage Roof - How to Better Seal up Leaks?
Information, help and advice on maintaining, installing and repairing a flat roof. Post your questions and view answers here

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
mandyspangles
Labourer
Labourer

Leaking Asbestos Garage Roof - How to Better Seal up Leaks?

Post by mandyspangles » Thu Jul 17, 2014 1:53 pm

Hello
I'm hoping someone can offer advice with regard to my leaking roof. My garage is, i believe, a 1980s kit one with a corrugated asbestos roof. Over the years it has become very porous. I have tried the usual bitumen at joints and then an expensive paint-on preparation which failed within weeks. I am currently looking at encapsulation on a website called asbestosafe. It's hugely expensive so I'm wondering if I have any alternatives. DIY is impossible for me. Many thanks.

welsh brickie
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: Leaking Asbestos Garage Roof - How to Better Seal up Leaks?

Post by welsh brickie » Thu Jul 17, 2014 9:41 pm

you could try isoflex rubber compound

mandyspangles
Labourer
Labourer

Post by mandyspangles » Fri Jul 18, 2014 1:24 pm

Thank you for your reply.
How would this be applied?

RubberRoofer
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by RubberRoofer » Wed Jan 07, 2015 4:30 pm

Hi,

I don't know where you are - but we use Asbesosil. It's a liquid applied silicone based membrane that cures to a seamless encapsulation membrane and waterproofs all in one.

However it's not cheap at all. Anything good for Asbestos isn't - I've yet to find a cheap solution to this problem that works - when I do I'll be using it.

What size is the garage, and how much are you being charged?

Work on around £60-£80 per M2 but do check that they are either Trading Standards "Buy with Confidence" Members or "Which? Trusted Traders" - then you will know what you're getting will be a quality service and product - too many cowboys out there, although I haven't heard of the company mentioned specifically.

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Mon Feb 19, 2024 8:56 pm