Leaking Earth Stone Wall
Information, help and solutions to many issues encountered when converting barns and older buildings

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
u01te
Labourer
Labourer

Leaking Earth Stone Wall

Post by u01te » Wed Jan 05, 2011 5:07 pm

Hello,

We have large old barn on our land which we are looking to do up as a holiday let. The property is on two levels. At the top is our house, outside the front of the house is about 4m of land and then it drops off about 8ft to the level below. Supporting that drop an old stone built 3ft thick lime wall. The large barn uses part of this wall as its back wall. The wall is in good condition but water leaks through in places and it is damp allover.

Honestly excavating the wall is almost impossible, getting a JCB in between the drop and our house would be difficult. So how do I control the water to make sure if I do up the barn it does not have bad damp and leaks.

Obviously guttering is in place and drainage where possible is installed, the water I imagine is coming from the land as it seeps in?

Can anyone advise what could be done on the internal side of the wall?

I was thinking of putting up some sort of waterproof membrance with a new block wall in front about a 1ft from the old wall hoping this would then stop any damp.

Greatfully appreciate any help you can give.

u01te

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

Post by stoneyboy » Fri Jan 07, 2011 5:36 pm

You will need to instal an air gap membrane as described here https://www.diydoctor.org.uk/projects/tanking.htm
You will need to include a sump and pump.
Then form a damp proofed enclosure inside this and incorporating the floor as well.
end

welsh brickie
Project Manager
Project Manager

damp walls

Post by welsh brickie » Fri Jan 07, 2011 5:47 pm

prepair the wall by using a pva solution
Render the wall using sand/cement/lime
allow 2 days drying then paint wall using a bitumin. 3 coats
then build your wall

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 1:01 am