Leaking flat roof - easiest repair?
Information, help and advice on maintaining, installing and repairing a flat roof. Post your questions and view answers here

6 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
alexeix
Apprentice
Apprentice

Leaking flat roof - easiest repair?

by alexeix » Thu Nov 05, 2009 1:43 am

Hi,

The flat roof of my kitchen leaks, when there is heavy rain and I need some advice on remedial repairs.

The house is going on the market shortly and is likely to be purchased by a developer who will knock down the original dwelling, since there is now planning permission for a replacement.

However, in the meantime, I want to stop water leaking into the kitchen.

It seems that the roof timbers may be rotten, but I really do not want to go to the expense of replacing the whole roof, just for one winter.

Is it feasible to just nail on a sheet of felt as a temporary measure?
The main roof overhangs the flat roof slightly, so the felt could be positioned 'up and under', to prevent water getting under it at that point.

I realise this would be a bodge job, but it would purely be intended to keep the house habitable.

Are there any better ideas for a short-term repair?
Thanks.

acsimpson
Foreman
Foreman

by acsimpson » Thu Nov 05, 2009 3:25 pm

Depending on the extent of the leak and previous surface you may find that you can seal it with something like thomson roofseal. It's a sort of plasticy paint which can seal a flat roof. May be cheaper and easier than felt. Of course any bodge job will be noticed by a surveyor but if they are buying to demolish then shouldn't be an issue.

alexeix
Apprentice
Apprentice

by alexeix » Thu Nov 05, 2009 10:35 pm

I can't really tell how bad the leak is, but I'll take a look at the roof and if there isn't any obvious, serious deterioration on the outside, I'll try what you suggested - can't find it on the B&Q web site though.

Any suggestions where I could get hold of some?

I also read about Rustoleum Fillcoat and Fillcoat Fibres.
Any experience with those products?

Ideally, I need something which I can apply with a roller.

As for the surveyor, ours didn't pick up on it, but regardless, you're absolutely right, this is not intended to disguise anything, just to keep the water out.

Cheers.

acsimpson
Foreman
Foreman

by acsimpson » Fri Nov 06, 2009 10:16 am

I have bought it in store at B&Q before. I always have difficulty finding things on their website though. Why there search doesn't return items based on the title is beyond me.

Screwfix do it under the title "Thompsons High Performance Roof Seal 2.5L".

I don't know the other products you mention but I guess they would do a similar job if they are all designed for the same task.

alexeix
Apprentice
Apprentice

by alexeix » Fri Nov 06, 2009 8:25 pm

I'll try B&Q on the way home tonight.

Screwfix sell the 'emergency' type (which I think is the heavy duty one I need), but not in the larger size.
Still, I'll check the local branch this weekend.

I'm not sure where else to look.

fulfordroofing
Labourer
Labourer

leak on flat roof

by fulfordroofing » Mon Jan 04, 2010 10:01 pm

Im a professional roofer and in an emergency as a temorary repair i use AQUAFLEX it come in a 5lt tin and is brushed on in wet or dry conditions it cost around £25 a tin and can be perchased at most builder /roofers merchants will last the time your after im sure

6 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 9:02 am