leaking pipes
All aspects of plumbing questions and answers, help, tips and information

7 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
marty77
Labourer
Labourer

leaking pipes

by marty77 » Wed Jan 02, 2008 3:54 pm

I noticed awet patch of carpet near one of my radiators and when I pulled the carpets back th underlay was wet as was the floor underneath. The plumber said that it is due to the copper pipes not being insulated before being buried in concrete and that they have probably eroded. He is talking of digging up the floors to see just how far the problem goes. Is this extreme and lokking for a nice long expensive job or is there an easier way.
P.S. The digging up of the floors is particularly awkward as I live in an appartment.

Paulo83
Apprentice
Apprentice

by Paulo83 » Wed Jan 02, 2008 10:11 pm

Is it not just the radiator or the radiator valves leaking onto the floor?

Doesnt sound like fun digging up floors etc but u never know he might be running short of work.

marrtin
Foreman
Foreman

by marrtin » Thu Jan 03, 2008 4:48 pm

Ouch, this could end up being an expensive job. This is the problem with buried copper, it corrodes and if it is corroded in one place.............

Before he touches anything, make sure for yourself what is happening.
Get a second opinion. Pull the carpet back and leave it for a day or two. Constantly keep feeling around the radiator and valve for water leaks. See if anything dries up.

If the leak is under the floor, digging it up will only be a temporary cure as the whole system will be weak and will fail somewhere else in the future.

nitro23456
Foreman
Foreman

by nitro23456 » Thu Jan 03, 2008 6:02 pm

This happened to a friend of mine...

Copper pipes used to be buried in the concrete but not anymore as concrete does erode copper piping (didnt used to be known). New builds have all the piping above floor level to allow access.

If your problem is the same, I am afraid it is major. My friend had to have all the piping in the central heating downstairs isolated (left in place to avoid diggin up the ground but just left unfunctional) and new piping installed above ground level for all the central heating downstairs £££££

I would recommend getting some insurance and leaving it for a few months and then claiming otherwise you are looking at a four figure bill.

mikjayfay
Apprentice
Apprentice

by mikjayfay » Sun Jan 06, 2008 8:36 pm

this problem of copper pipes corroding. does this apply to under plaster as well? as i am planning to bury pipes in bathroom under plaster before tiling on top..

i have only one tee joint [compression joint] and the rest of the pipe has been bent to shape, so i am not too worried about access,

the idea is to hide all the pipe work, but its not good if it corrodes... any way of preventing corrosion? or any other way to hide the pipes rather than box them off?
[/i]

marrtin
Foreman
Foreman

by marrtin » Mon Jan 07, 2008 11:03 am

Yes. Copper must not have contact with plaster as the salts will corrode the pipe. Wrap the pipes with plastic tape to protect them.

rosebery
Project Manager
Project Manager

by rosebery » Thu Jan 10, 2008 11:18 pm

[quote="nitro23456"]I would recommend getting some insurance and leaving it for a few months and then claiming otherwise you are looking at a four figure bill.[/quote]You should totally ignore that piece of advice IMHO. Such a claim would be completely fraudulent and the Ins Co would throw the book at you when (not if) they find out.

Cheers

7 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sun Apr 14, 2024 11:44 am