leaking rad. how to fix?
Drainage and wastage systems and plumbing help, advice and answers

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
jeff_porter
Labourer
Labourer

leaking rad. how to fix?

by jeff_porter » Mon Sep 10, 2007 4:27 pm

I've searched around the forum, but can't find a answer to my problem.

One of the radiators in my flat is leaking.

Its leaking at the thermostatic valve end, its not a running leak, but enough to fill 1/4 of a breakfast bowl over the weekend when away.

Now I'm back, I'm looking to fix it.

I've tried some rubber glue type thing, the only thing homebase had on a friday night. But the pipe never dries, so it can't set.

It seems the leak is on the connection between the pipe up and the entry into the thermo valve. :(

So either I get a plumer in, or someone might be able to suggest another method?

Or can someone suggest a plumber in the Warwick area?

Thanks
Jeff

kbrownie
Project Manager
Project Manager

by kbrownie » Tue Sep 11, 2007 7:03 am

HI jeff_porter
Daft question have you tried tighten it up, using a spanner?
If so and still leaking, depending which side of valve is leaking, If it's leaking from the joint between valve and radiator you need to close valves at each end of radiator, find something to catch the water in and undo nut at leak, get some ptf tape (from DIY shop or Plumbers Merchant) wrap a few turns around thread on radiator that you have just undone, then tighten nut back up so tape is being threaded over creating a seal between inside of nut and threaded pipe.
If leak is from tail pipe to valve you need to drain system down and do the same as above with thread on valve and ptf tape.
Then turn valves back on and fill system back up to about 1.5 bars of pressure.
and unless the pipe is damaged you should have cracked it!
Hope this does trick
Good Luck
KB

SweetB plumber
Labourer
Labourer

leaking rad valve

by SweetB plumber » Tue Oct 02, 2007 10:44 pm

It could also be the gland nut weeping, which again needs PTFE tape! Your description of where ******* leaking is a bit vague....... :D

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Fri Apr 05, 2024 7:05 pm