leaking toilet
Drainage and wastage systems and plumbing help, advice and answers

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
brason
Labourer
Labourer

leaking toilet

Post by brason » Wed Apr 16, 2008 7:54 pm

I am having problems with my toilet leaking. After using a bucket to flush for a while, I attempted to try to fix it. I have bought and fitted new components for the toilet, and it no longer seems to leak when the cistern is full. The problem now is that it leaks when the tank is filling and the water is fully on. It leaks from where the copper pipe meets the part going into the toilet (sorry don't know any technical terms) If the water is only half on then it doesn't leak, but it takes about half an hour to fill. I have tried putting plumbers tape on this join and also plumbers mait putty and this just causes the joint below to leak. If I then cover the joint below with plumbers mait then the toilet leaks from the joint above the other one. I am very confused- can anyone help

Many thanks
Cath

htg engineer
Project Manager
Project Manager

Post by htg engineer » Thu Apr 17, 2008 2:29 pm

What kind of fitting is used to connect to the cistern ? a 15mm nut and ring or a tap/swivel connector and fibre washer ?

PTFE tape around the 15mm olive should help seal it, if it's a fibre washer - try replacing maybe it's not sitting properly or could be damaged.

If still no luck, quick DIY fix - buy a flexi pipe, one end is 15mm compression and the other will be 1/2" nut - with a rubber washer. This'll solve your problems.

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sun Apr 14, 2024 2:01 am