leaking toilet
Drainage and wastage systems and plumbing help, advice and answers

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
FROOBIN
Labourer
Labourer

leaking toilet

by FROOBIN » Tue Oct 23, 2007 8:10 am

After giving an accurate reading for water, I have since received absolutely huge bill. I live in a one bedroom flat (new build 2003) and have noticed water leaking from the rim of the toilet. I thought nothing of it until I noticed that the noise of the water filling as its losing water from the tank, was actually in my flat. I had previously thought that that noise was from a pipe when someone else near me used a toilet.

Since then I have noticed that it fills for 5 seconds every thirty seconds. This explains the water bill! Any ideas how to stop the leak without calling plumber?

htg engineer
Project Manager
Project Manager

by htg engineer » Thu Oct 25, 2007 7:58 pm

what type of toilet is it ?

a regular toilet and cistern or one of those dual flush one's ?

could be a damaged syphon or some debri stopping it closing. (likely if an old toilet, replace syphon) the handle and coupling may be sticking.

The dual flush ones - sometimes the buttons get stuck or some have rods fitted, if they're too long then they will continue to flush.

Is it a new or old toilet ?

marrtin
Foreman
Foreman

by marrtin » Sat Nov 03, 2007 11:20 am

My guess is that you have one of the new breed of flush valve. If debris gets caught in the rubber seal, the valve seeps as you described. Toilets that operate with a push button have this new mechanism, and it can be removed and cleaned easily. Turn the water off and remove the cistern lid. The centre unit can be removed the same way as a light bulb. With the unit removed, clean the rubber seal, and the seat it sits on. Check that the mechanism is free, then re-fit.

I see this problem a lot. I have seen people receive water bills of over £600!

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sun Apr 21, 2024 12:12 am