6 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
cheapskate
Labourer
Labourer

leaky bath

by cheapskate » Mon Mar 16, 2009 1:36 pm

Hello,
The plumber messed up loads of things!
One of which is the bath. As it drains it leaks water from the join between the plastic fitting that is part of the bath (not the plumbing) and the fibreglass of the bath itself. Leaking is dependent on pressure (ie how full the bath is). So it is not massive or particularly floody, and it can be nearly stopped by pulling the plumbing fittings in one direction (suggesting how it occurred - the tight space probably means that the join has been under pressure for some time).
I want to smear some goo (under the bath) around the area and into the join, wait for it to dry, then have a fixed bath. Is this possible? If so what kind of goo would you recommend. I was going to use Evo-stick, smear it on and in, then waggle it around a bit to get it into the crack/split or whatever. But I am up for suggestions before I do!
Thanks for reading my problem, help gratefully appreciated. Wife impatient!
Steve.

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

by stoneyboy » Mon Mar 16, 2009 10:07 pm

cheapskate,
Undo the waste fitting, dry it and the bath and apply a thin smear of silicone sealant to the bath mating surface, reassemble and leave for a few hours to set.
end

rosebery
Project Manager
Project Manager

by rosebery » Mon Mar 16, 2009 10:22 pm

1. Waste not is properly tightened up.

2. Sealing ring is missing.

3. Trap not properly screwed up to waste.

Check these three things first. If you must use anything to "goo" it up use plumbers putty.

Cheers

cheapskate
Labourer
Labourer

by cheapskate » Tue Mar 17, 2009 11:08 am

Thanks guys,

Rosebery, it is definitely the join to the fibreglass, not the plumbing (trap etc)

Rosebery & Stoneyboy, I wondered if putty or silicone would be tough enough, and I also though an adhesive might get into the join or crack and fix it there as well as acting as a sealant.

your help very welcome. I feel as if I will have one crack at this! So I wonder which to use, or if there is anything else I could use.

A friend said some form of resin, since it is to fix join with fibreglass. Is this sensible, if so, what product? Or if you think either putty or silicone is best, I will give it a try.

Thanks again, Steve

rosebery
Project Manager
Project Manager

by rosebery » Tue Mar 17, 2009 8:03 pm

But not the sort of putty you'd use on the windows!! It must be "plumbers putty". An alternative is LSX but I wouldn't use silicone sealant.

I'm still not convinced its done up tight enough to make the seal work though.

Cheers

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

by stoneyboy » Tue Mar 17, 2009 9:12 pm

cheapskate,
As rosebery has pointed out there should be a rubber sealing ring between the bottom bit of the waste and the bath.
Use silicone it will happily bond to both the bath and sealing ring and once set will ensure a waterproof seal.
end

6 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Thu Mar 07, 2024 12:50 am