Leaky joint on immersion cylinder


Postby thedivvy » Sun Jan 10, 2010 5:20 pm

Hi,
I have an insulated copper immersion cylinder that is leaking from one of the joints made through the wall of the cylinder.

My question is: is it possible or practical to repair the joint so I can avoid replacing the cylinder? (The cylinder is over 20 years old)

(Additional note subsequently added: This is a Servowarm system and the cylinder appears to have a different design from the 2 standard direct or indirect cylinders available today. 1 Large pipe (28mm?) in the top, another in from left about 12-14 inches up from bottom, 3 x 15mm on right hand side - 1 high (ish), 1 about midpoint and the last a bit lower)

I can't find anything on internet that looks like this and am at a loss as to how I would plumb in any of what appear to be "standard" replacements. I'm guessing it would be an indirect cylinder and would need re-routing of pipework. I am very savvy with plumbing in general so am quite prepared to undertake replacement of cylinder as long as I am confident I understand existing system. Any help much appreciated.

Thanks
thedivvy
Posts: 2
Joined: Sun Jan 10, 2010 5:14 pm

Sponsor

Simply Build It

Postby stoneyboy » Mon Jan 11, 2010 9:04 pm

thedivvy,
Chances of repairing the leaking joint are small, you'll probably rip the joint out of the the cylinder wall if you try.
Suggest you post a picture of the cylinder, your description does not really help.
end
stoneyboy
Posts: 2708
Joined: Wed Dec 10, 2008 6:44 pm


Postby Dave From Leeds » Fri Jan 15, 2010 3:06 am

I once managed to seal a leak on the seam at the top of my cylinder with "Chemical Metal" (a Plastic Padding product). Lasted about a year then started weeping again so I changed the cylinder.
Dave From Leeds
Posts: 179
Joined: Mon Nov 19, 2007 9:02 pm


Postby thedivvy » Fri Jan 22, 2010 10:02 pm

Thanks everyone for responding, I did in the end replace the tank and a pain of a job it was too - pipework that did line up was bunged up (including the drain cock grrr). And the remaining pipework all needed re-routing to line up.

As someone suggested trying to fix the leaky Deleted joint would have been a complete no goer - it was so seized I couldn't even undo it to remove tank and had to cut it.

Still despite the expense the new tank and plumbing has made a big difference in overall efficiency. Possibly partly because I fitted a Surrey flange which is much the better way to feed a shower.

Thanks again.
thedivvy
Posts: 2
Joined: Sun Jan 10, 2010 5:14 pm


Postby stoneyboy » Sat Jan 23, 2010 5:06 pm

thedivvy,
Well done leaving a final message - so many posts are left open ended and forum members don't know what the final outcome was.
end
stoneyboy
Posts: 2708
Joined: Wed Dec 10, 2008 6:44 pm


Display posts from previous
Sort by
Order by


 


  • Related Topics