Leaky pump
Help and information on all topics relating to your central heating, air conditioning and ventilation issues.

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
diy2009
Apprentice
Apprentice

Leaky pump

by diy2009 » Sat Dec 18, 2010 3:02 pm

Hi,
We have a water pump located next to the immersion heater in the airing cupboard in the upstairs bathroom (see attachment). I assume this is for the central heating system as it leaks when the central heating is switched on. The leak is only a drip but quite a lot of water collects when the heating is on a lot as it is during winter. The leak is a drip from the front and centre of the pump shown in the picture. As you can see there are also scale deposits, which I asume are due to the leak.

I was told by a friend that it is easy to fix, but he was not too clear about how. Can anyone enlighten me? I believe it involves removing the central slotted screw. Thanks in advance.

http://s1099.photobucket.com/albums/g39 ... t=pump.jpg

diy2009
Last edited by diy2009 on Sat Dec 18, 2010 8:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

plumbbob
Project Manager
Project Manager

by plumbbob » Sat Dec 18, 2010 6:12 pm

Unfortunately, there is no picture with this post.

Is it a large screw in the front centre of the pump? Have you tried tightening it up?

diy2009
Apprentice
Apprentice

by diy2009 » Sun Dec 19, 2010 7:59 pm

[quote="plumbbob"]Unfortunately, there is no picture with this post.

Is it a large screw in the front centre of the pump? Have you tried tightening it up?[/quote]

Thanks for the reply plumbbob. I've added the picture now. Just see the original post with link. As you can see there is a large screw in the centre of the pump, which seems to be covered in scale.

I've also seen that ther are drips coming from the values on either side of the pump. Do i simply tighten the values?

Mnay thanks.

diy2009

plumbbob
Project Manager
Project Manager

by plumbbob » Mon Dec 20, 2010 12:12 am

The leak is from the cover over the main pump bearing. If it won't tighten up, remove it (you will get a small drip or dribble of water whilst it is removed) clean it and replace tightly.

It may be the rubber "O" ring is damaged and needs replacing.

diy2009
Apprentice
Apprentice

by diy2009 » Tue Jan 18, 2011 9:10 pm

[quote="plumbbob"]The leak is from the cover over the main pump bearing. If it won't tighten up, remove it (you will get a small drip or dribble of water whilst it is removed) clean it and replace tightly.

It may be the rubber "O" ring is damaged and needs replacing.[/quote]

Many thanks plumbbob. That worked a treat.

diy2009

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1