Leaky seal on bath.......
Damp can be a major issue in the home. Find answers to questions or post your own here.

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
jmchell
Labourer
Labourer

Leaky seal on bath.......

by jmchell » Sun Feb 10, 2008 5:19 pm

Good afternoon.

We have recently (2 weeks ago) bought an apartment and have been using the shower over the tub. Damp aprox 30cmx30cm has shown up in the corner of our bedroom which shares the opposite corner to the tub. Upon inspection we realized the seal around the tub had gaps and needed replacing, so this was done.

The stain on the bedroom wall got worse even though i re-sealed the tub. I presume this is from residual damp in the wall coming from the original problem.

Today I took the surround off the bath and this revealed moisture on the floor and slight green/blue mold on the wall behined the tub and a small damp area aprox 40cm x 40cm.

I have again re-sealed the corner of the tub and raised the back corner so that water doesn't pool and sit.

What do I do about the wet walls. The wall is wet to the touch & I can dint the plaster with a finger push...

Any help advice would be appreciated.

I am an adventurous DIY'er and can normally tackle most projects with Internet help/advice and more than necessary trips to the diy store.

I am in France so contractors is out of the window as they are expensive...and my french is worse than my DIY skills!!!!

Thanks in advance

Jonathan

ALDA
Foreman
Foreman

by ALDA » Sun Feb 10, 2008 11:25 pm

WHEN THE BATH PANELS WERE REMOVED, DID YOU RUN THE SHOWER TO CONFIRM THAT THE RE-SEAL WAS SUCCESSFULL?

IF SO, THEN I AGREE WITH YOUR VIEW, THAT THE WATER MARKS ARE WORSE BECAUSE THE RESIDUAL WATER IS SLOW TO EMERGE THROUGH MATERIALS LIKE WOOD AND PLASTER.

IT SOUNDS TO ME, THAT YOU HAVE'NT HAD A LARGE LEEK OVER A LARGE AREA, SO WITH THE BATH PANEL REMOVED YOU CAN EFFECT A SLOW DRYING OF THE AREA CONCERNED WITHOUT ANY NEED TO REMOVE AND RE-PLASTER.

THIS CAN BE ACHIEVED BY EITHER NATURAL AIRING OR SLIGHTLY SPEEDING UP THE DRYING OUT PROCESS BY PLACING A FAN HEATER UNDER THE TUB ON LOW HEAT.

BE SURE NOT TO USE ANY WATER TAPS WHILST THIS IS PROCEEDING FOR SAFETY'S SAKE AND DIRECT HEAT AWAY FROM ANYTHING COMBUSTABLE AND ALSO FROM TUB/PANELS IF THEY ARE PLASTIC TYPES.

WHEN DRY KILL OFF ANY MOULD OR ALGIE WITH BLEECH OR OTHER PRODUCT OF YOUR CHOICE AND RE-DECORATE IF REQUIRED.
ALDA

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Wed Mar 06, 2024 10:44 am