leveling and damp proofing a floor
Help, advice, information, answers and tips on all types of flooring from laminate and carpet to timber and vinyl

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Dave_c
Labourer
Labourer

leveling and damp proofing a floor

by Dave_c » Thu Apr 22, 2010 11:03 am

iv never attempted leveling a floor before so sorry if this is a dumb question.

first i should point out that the previous owners of my house were avid DIYer and probably shouldn't have been.

we have just finished taking up the vinyl tiles in our kitchen and have found underneath that the bitchumen(i think its bitchumen) used to stick some of the tiles down is damp and still very sticky. also they have used a large stone in the concrete so the floor is very bumpy.

i want to put a leveling compound down which will also act as a damp proof for the floor (the walls already have a fresh damp course).

can anyone tell me what i need to use? is it something i CAN do myself?

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

by stoneyboy » Fri Apr 23, 2010 8:45 pm

Dave_c,
Assuming you do not want to take the floor up, leave the floor exposed so it dries, apply a numbers of coats of bitumastic DPM solution (sand blind between coats) and apply self levelling compound on top.
end

NewtonM
Apprentice
Apprentice

Leveling a Floor

by NewtonM » Mon Apr 26, 2010 12:07 pm

Usually you would need to clean up the bitumen compound on the slab to get an effective bond for the self levelling screed. You may be able to get a product which will bond as well as self level (sbr additive). Depending upon what floor finish is required your best bet I think would be to lay a loose laid dimpled sheet membrane down directly on the slab and then put a finish on that. This will form a complete barrier and then you fold it up the walls and link to the new dpc. This will give you a damp free envelope. You have obviously had damp issues there before so might be good to make sure the new finishes are protected. This may work but it depends on what finishes you want on the membrane.

I'd take advice on this from a manufacturer to be sure. One thing is its not hard to do and you could definitely do it yourself with no wet trades just roll it out!

Warren Muschialli

cash-matters
Apprentice
Apprentice

by cash-matters » Thu Sep 16, 2010 6:17 pm

can you advise what dimpled membrene would you use

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Tue Apr 09, 2024 1:50 pm