Advice and information on tiling and fixing tiles to a variety of surfaces

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
PaulRogers
Labourer
Labourer

levelling wall before tiling

by PaulRogers » Thu Jul 12, 2007 12:44 pm

Hi - advice needed!

I want to tile a kitchen wall that is half covered in old tiles (the top half of the wall isn't tiled where i've taken down the old wall cabinets). Rather than taking off the old tiles which will remove most of the wall as well (I've tried) what can I use to bring the top half of the wall to the level of the old tiles before putting the new tiles on top?

Anyone have a solution?

Thanks.
Paul.

DUDE DIY
Ganger
Ganger

by DUDE DIY » Sun Jul 15, 2007 7:44 am

Hi Paul. In answer to your question I think you have a few solutions. First one would be to bite the bullet, remove all the old tiles carefully ( even if the do take some of the wall with them ). Once the tiles are all off simply cover the whole area/wall with a few new sheets of plaster board to hide the old wall and create a flat surface ready to tile upon. This my require you to do a little plastering like a quick skim over the wall which will remain un-tiled but is by far the best option. More work but you will get a better end result. The flat surface of the new plaster board will make your tiling job so much simpler. Another option is to just remove the old tiles and plaster over the rotton bottom half of the wall and try to make it level up with the top half. I wouldnt recommend trying to tile a surface which isnt flat. Hope this helps mate.

PaulRogers
Labourer
Labourer

by PaulRogers » Mon Jul 16, 2007 1:07 pm

Thanks for advice - I'll get started!

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 3:37 am