Light bulb comes on the goes out!
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
rossvincent77
Labourer
Labourer

Light bulb comes on the goes out!

by rossvincent77 » Fri Aug 29, 2008 8:43 pm

I have a simple outdoor light connected to a switch in the hallway. When I turn on the switch, the light comes on for 2 seconds then goes out - the bulb does not blow and the fuse in the circuit breaker does not trip. What is the problem? Could it be the wiring from the switch to the light or is the fuse in the cicuit box not man enough? Any help appreciated.

ericmark

by ericmark » Fri Aug 29, 2008 10:55 pm

I can only guess but many light cells have self test and the light will come on for few seconds on first switch on then go off so either it is faulty or is getting light from another source which is holding it in off mode.

Could be 101 other things but I would look and see if there is a sensor first.

Eric

mephistico
Apprentice
Apprentice

by mephistico » Sun Aug 31, 2008 7:35 am

It sounds like your "simple" outside light might be a PIR model. Are there any dials on the bottom of it? Is there a white plastic area on it somewhere?
Any chance of a pic?

rossvincent77
Labourer
Labourer

by rossvincent77 » Sun Aug 31, 2008 5:11 pm

No it is not a PIR light and there is no sensor, it is a basic £10 light which is new and takes a 60W bayonet bulb but the light is ment for outside. I have tryed all sorts of different bulbs including energy saving ones and lower wattage ones but they all go out after 2/3 seconds.

sparkydude
Apprentice
Apprentice

by sparkydude » Sun Aug 31, 2008 9:11 pm

It sounds like a loose connection in the lampholder to me , as soon as any current passes through the cable it loses its continuity and goes off. Try checking all connections to and from the switch to the light and then also look at the lampholder in the fitting you may find it is not making a good connection to the pins on the lamp and when heated up breaks contact.

Nick

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 4:05 am