Light bulbs flickering - suddenly no power
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
phil19
Labourer
Labourer

Light bulbs flickering - suddenly no power

by phil19 » Mon Mar 30, 2009 8:59 am

Over the weekend we noticed that our lights have been flickering occasionally including the LED bulbs in our kitchen. Then on Sunday evening the was a surge and the house went black. I looked out to see whether it was a power cut in the area but nothing.

My husband went to the consumer board and then turned the switches (red trip ones) back up. Nothing.
He turned them down again and hit the yellow fuse box button on the consumer board. He tried the two red switches and we had electricity again.

Can anyone advise as to why this may have occurred and what we check to avoid it again - apart from calling out an electrician ?

The consumer board is a modern one and my husband said it maybe to do with the supplier having a surge or the opposite and since our board is a more modern one the box is designed to cut off / shut down.

The lights are no longer flicking and the bulbs were checked - a few were loose in their sockets. There was no burning smell and no heat coming from the consumer box. We haven't done any electrical work for some time.

Just looking for some peace of mind before taking the next step of getting it all checked.

BLAKEY1963
Site Agent
Site Agent

Re: Light bulbs flickering - suddenly no power

by BLAKEY1963 » Tue Mar 31, 2009 9:59 am

[quote="phil19"]Over the weekend we noticed that our lights have been flickering occasionally including the LED bulbs in our kitchen. Then on Sunday evening the was a surge and the house went black. I looked out to see whether it was a power cut in the area but nothing.

My husband went to the consumer board and then turned the switches (red trip ones) back up. Nothing.
He turned them down again and hit the yellow fuse box button on the consumer board. He tried the two red switches and we had electricity again.

Can anyone advise as to why this may have occurred and what we check to avoid it again - apart from calling out an electrician ?

The consumer board is a modern one and my husband said it maybe to do with the supplier having a surge or the opposite and since our board is a more modern one the box is designed to cut off / shut down.

The lights are no longer flicking and the bulbs were checked - a few were loose in their sockets. There was no burning smell and no heat coming from the consumer box. We haven't done any electrical work for some time.

Just looking for some peace of mind before taking the next step of getting it all checked.[/quote]

PHIL19
GET someone in on a free quotation basis , to check operation of mcbs / rcds .
BLAKEY1963

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sat Apr 13, 2024 5:07 pm