light is not workin
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

6 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
jozan
Labourer
Labourer

light is not workin

by jozan » Fri Jan 11, 2008 4:12 pm

hi,
i got a new light and connected it up. now it doesnt work.
i have 4 sets of wires so it gets a bit confusing. this is how i connected it up:
black (red sleeve) to brown
3 black to blue
4 green to green
4 red together

i have beeen puzzled for bout an hour now. is there any specific way to connect th reds up as thats the only thing i can think of.

please help, thnx :)

rflight
Tradesman
Tradesman

by rflight » Fri Jan 11, 2008 10:46 pm

Did you not make a note of any connections before starting. What you need to identify is the switch wire (the black with the brown sleeving on it most likley) the rest is just live neutral and earth looped from the last light fitting to the next light fitting, but by the sounds of it you may have an extra cable looped to something else.

333rocky333
Ganger
Ganger

by 333rocky333 » Fri Jan 11, 2008 10:54 pm

Sounds ok fom what you say.
You sure wires are in ok , tight and screwed onto the copper and not the insulation.

I assume the old light was connected the same and that worked before.

Could the new light be faulty,maybe try the old one back.

Silly question but is the power switched back on , have the other lights if any come back on?

ericmark

by ericmark » Sat Jan 12, 2008 10:13 am

As Rocky says all sounds OK. Likely something silly like a blown bulb. That has caught me out in past.

kbrownie
Project Manager
Project Manager

by kbrownie » Sat Jan 12, 2008 10:22 am

Hi jozan,
Was this light working before you replaced for new and does the switch turn more than one light on? You may have got a loose connection at another fitting in the loop while you was replacing, so check at other ceiling roses for loose connection and also check for loose connection at switch too.
Good Luck and be safe, safely isolate electrics before carrying out any work.
Kind Regards
KB

jozan
Labourer
Labourer

by jozan » Sat Jan 19, 2008 4:33 pm

hi,
thanks for the feedback, i will look to see if thers any loose connections, as for the bulbs, i got new ones and the light worked b4 i changed it, so, i will have a look. thnx again all :)

6 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sun Apr 14, 2024 1:27 am