Light Out
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
limebud
Labourer
Labourer

Light Out

by limebud » Thu Jan 17, 2008 7:18 pm

Hi
I switched on the hall light the other morning to be greeted by a small bang, the glass part of the bulb and 2 glowing pieces of something falling to the floor. I reset the circuit breaker and replaced the bulb - nothing. I then checked the connection from the cable to the bulb socket and between the cable and the ceiling (rose?), they looked fine. I've also checked the switch wiring and it looks fine.

I live in a flat which I had rewired about 2 years ago. Can anybody suggest something else which might be wrong before I call in an Electrician?

Many Thanks
Limebud

ericmark

by ericmark » Thu Jan 17, 2008 10:03 pm

Weakest link is most likely the switch. But this is unusual, normally bulbs contains a built in fuse, as when they blow ionisation can take place, which means the gases conduct. Some cheap imports don’t have these fuses and when they go ionisation open the trip putting rest of house in the dark. On a short circuit trips are slower than fuses and this can result in secondary faults. But as to what has blown in your case is only a guess of course.

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sun Apr 14, 2024 5:55 pm