Light Switch 4 Wires but no Where for 3rd Wire to go?
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
diyhelpme
Labourer
Labourer

Light Switch 4 Wires but no Where for 3rd Wire to go?

by diyhelpme » Tue Jul 25, 2017 5:25 pm

Hi,

My light switch button broke. I have a new switch however when I've screwed off the light switch it has 4 wires. 1 going to common and 2 others unlabelled. The 4 is the earth which is separated from the rest of the wiring. The existing light switch has a single button.

My new switch which also has a single button on it has a common and 1 way fitting and 3rd labelled 2 way however the two way has no fittings, only a whole. So I have nowhere to attached the third wire. Can I put electrical tape around the 3rd wire and attach the other 2 or do I need another switch that will take all 3 wires even though there aren't two buttons on the switch?

Having said that the light in question that this operates is part of a two way covered by another switch (bottom of stairs which operates this light downstairs and the top landing light).

ericmark
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: Light Switch 4 Wires but no Where for 3rd Wire to go?

by ericmark » Tue Jul 25, 2017 6:31 pm

You need a two way switch, there are two common ways to wire, if it has a button likely it will need a matching switch, or even some computer link, Most switches have a rocker not a button.

diyhelpme
Labourer
Labourer

by diyhelpme » Wed Jul 26, 2017 10:17 am

Thanks Eric. I was taking a look online to see what switches I could see and I can see 1 gang 2 way and 1 gang 1 way so my guess is I have the 1 gang 1 way and should have the 1 gang 2 way. I'll pick one today.

It's a rocker type also. No idea what you called it so thanks.

kbrownie
Project Manager
Project Manager

by kbrownie » Thu Jul 27, 2017 10:27 pm

Yes you need a single gang two way switch
A lot of switches are now massed produced and generically have the dummy terminals on one way switches that cannot be used for a two way, even though the mould type is the same.

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Fri Mar 22, 2024 9:13 pm