Light switch
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
knownothing
Labourer
Labourer

Light switch

Post by knownothing » Mon Jul 02, 2007 2:44 pm

I was trying to change a light switch in the lounge to a dimmer switch, straight forward I thought but when I removed the cover, there are three red wires, all red, two of them go into common and one into L2. On the dimmer switch, there are two holes but I dont know where any of them go now. Does anyone know why all three wires are red? And, any idea where they go on new switch?
Thanks

BLAKEY1963
Site Agent
Site Agent

Re: Light switch

Post by BLAKEY1963 » Mon Jul 02, 2007 8:05 pm

[quote="knownothing"]I was trying to change a light switch in the lounge to a dimmer switch, straight forward I thought but when I removed the cover, there are three red wires, all red, two of them go into common and one into L2. On the dimmer switch, there are two holes but I dont know where any of them go now. Does anyone know why all three wires are red? And, any idea where they go on new switch?
Thanks[/quote]

KNOWNOTHING
TURN OFF POWER AND THE TWO RED WIRES
TOGETHER COULD BE FEED IN , FEED OUT.
TWO LIVE FEEDS. THESE WOULD GO INTO
COMMON OF DIMMER.
THE SINGLE RED WHICH WAS IN L2 WOULD B YOUR
SWITCH WIRE .
BLAKEY1963

cb
Labourer
Labourer

Post by cb » Tue Jul 03, 2007 7:44 pm

i had the same thing happened but they are all brown{ 1 with hoop on it maybe to signal the main one} and the dimmer switche has an arrow with a line thru it an L2 hole, Please advise

sparx
Project Manager
Project Manager

Post by sparx » Tue Jul 03, 2007 9:06 pm

hi. Knownothing,
The one with the 'hoop' on it is most likely to be SW live out to light the other 2 are live in/out which go together in C. term.
Cb they are all the same colour because they are all lives!!! some perm. & some switched but all lives so can't be anything but red in old wiring or brown in new, SPARX

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Thu Mar 21, 2024 11:15 am